Nurses earn public admiration and respect through their provision of compassionate and timely care. The career can be extremely rewarding, but it requires patience, tact, and good communication to work with diverse personalities. Practical nurses are a key part of the nursing team, bringing relief to patients across their lifespan in acute and long-term care facilities.
Enrolling in a licensed practical nursing program is just one part of the essential preparing for becoming an LPN. The average length of the program is 12 months, but the time it takes to complete will be completely up to you as full-time and part time schedules are offered. There are several nursing schools in the state of New York. Research is critical as you’ll want to choose a school that will meet your needs. Consider your long-term goals. If you plan to continue your education, then you’ll want to choose a program that facilitates easy transition to through LPN to RN programs. Review the school’s pass rate for the National Council Licensure Examination to gauge students’ success and the quality of the program. A high school diploma, health certificate, TEAS scores, CPR certification, and background check are the basic requirements for acceptance into competitive practical nursing programs. Passing the NCLEX for Practical Nurses is the last step to gaining eligibility to practice as an LPN. The New York State will determine your eligibility to take the exam.
Jobs for practical nurses are expected to
Hunter Business School
The Practical Nursing Program at Hunter Business School is
- Be at least 17 years old
- Provide proof of US citizenship, permanent residency or eligible non-citizenship
- Take and pass the ATI Test of Essential Academy Skills (TEAS). Achieve the national average at
minimumin reading, math, science, and English language
- Complete the Hunter Business School Information Sheet
- Provide an official copy of high school diploma or GED
officialcopy of transcriptfrom all post-secondary institutions attended
- Proof of previous employment in healthcare – if available
- Any valid health care certifications – Certified Nursing Assistant, Home Health Aide, and Medical Assistant
- Documentation of CPR certification – current or pending
- Three references
- A completed essay
- Attend an interview with the Admissions Department
- Complete the background check waiver
- Provide evidence of good health – a physical exam with proof of current
mantouxtest, hepatitis B, tetanus, seasonal influenza, and other immunizations
- Positive titers for varicella, rubella, and rubeola
Tuition costs $22,997 and includes registration and supplies.
Address: 3601 Hempstead Turnpike, Levittown, NY 11756
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 82.4%
Veeb Nassau County
The Vocational Education and Extension Board prepares a diverse group of adults for a career as a Practical Nurse. The state-approved program includes the instruction that will enable graduates to function within the complex and technological driven health care society. They will embrace upward mobility through continuing education. Students complete the program is three semesters over a period of 11 months. They can apply to sit for the Nursing Assistant Exam to become a Certified Nursing Assistant after the first semester. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion that will confirm their eligibility to take the state licensing exam. They will be able to meet the basic needs of individuals in practice, use the nursing process, understand the role and responsibilities of the practical nurse, be self-motivated and commit to continuing education, and collaborate with the health care team to restore health. A state board review course is available for an additional fee. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Semesters are 16 weeks each.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Take and pass the VEEB entrance exam – $150 non-refundable (reading 11
thgrade and math 9th grade)
a medicalhistory and physical exam including immunization requirements
officialhigh school transcript or GED certificate
- Proof of US citizenship or permanent residency
- One professional reference letter
- Make the $1,000 deposit at the time of registration
Tuition for the program is $16,725. Additional expenses include uniforms, books, basic physical, limited permit fee, licensure exam fee, and immunization and titers. Financial aid is available to qualifying students.
Address: 30 E Cherry St., Hicksville, NY 11801-4302
Phone: (516) 572-1704
Fax: (516) 572-1703
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 80.7%
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer