The aging population and demands for health care services increase the need for competent professionals to provide direct care services. Practical nursing programs prepare adults to take advantage of the expansive employment opportunities available in a wide variety of settings. In just 12 months of training, adults will be prepared for a vital role as part of the health care team where they will make a difference in the lives of patients.
Licensed practical nurses perform many of the same tasks as registered nurses but must work under the RN’s supervision. They plan and manage patient care plans, perform wound care, perform vital signs, supervise nursing assistants and other staff, administer injections and medications, interview patients and record medical histories, verify and update patient charts, explain protocols to patients, and monitor patients’ physical and mental health.
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that the job outlook for LPNs will grow 12 percent between 2016 and 2026, which is faster than the average of other occupations. In that year, there were 754,500 LPNs in the United States. The median annual wage for LPNs was $45,030 in 2016.
Florida Academy of Nursing
The Florida Academy of Nursing helps practical nursing students acquire the knowledge and skills to succeed on the state licensure exam and function as competent members of the healthcare team. The program requires completion of 1,485 hours of theory and practical instruction. Graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma and will be eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse. FAN offers both day and evening schedules. The day program meets 6 hours each day for 71 weeks. The evening program meets 5 hours on the weekdays for 79 weeks. Course topics include introduction to nursing, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, fundamentals of nursing, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, maternity and newborn nursing, pediatric nursing, geriatric nursing, mental health and community health concepts, NCLEX review, and clinical rotations.
- Be 18 years or older
- Attend an on-campus interview with an admissions representative
- Complete the FAN lobby form
- Complete the registration form
- Attach 2 copies of a government-issued ID and social security card
- Provide proof of completing high school or GED equivalency
- Submit to a 10-panel drug test
- Submit to a Level II background screen
- Complete the enrollment agreement
- Fulfill all financial obligations before the program begins
- Submit a statement of general health
- Sit the PN entrance exam and obtain a grade of 70% or higher
Tuition costs $3,000 per quarter. The lab fee costs $1,000. Other costs include registration fee, uniforms, textbooks, drug and background screens, lab kit, immunization, liability insurance, and graduation fee.
- Website: http://fanstudent.com/
- Address: 12002 Miramar Parkway, Miramar, Florida 33025
- Phone: (954) 322-1612
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Students who successfully complete the practical nursing program at Med-Life Institute will be eligible to apply for the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN) for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The practical nursing program includes 1374 hours of classroom theory, hands-on lab, and a clinical rotation at a medical facility. Course topics include fundamentals of nursing, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, mental health concepts, pharmacology, human growth and development, principles of nutrition, maternal and newborn nursing, medical surgical nursing, pediatric nursing, geriatric nursing, and NCLEX review. Med-Life offers evening, morning, and weekend schedules. The day class meets for 52 weeks and the evening and weekend classes meet for 665 weeks.
- Be 18 years or older
- Provide copies of photo ID and social security card
- Official transcript of high school graduation or GED equivalency
- Complete the application and enrollment form and pay the application fee
- Score between 45 and 100 on the TEAS standardized entrance exam
- Attend a personal interview with the Director of Nursing
- Complete an essay that articulates how the requirements of nursing school will integrate with current responsibilities
- Proof of titers – MMR, varicella, hepatitis B
- Negative PPD or chest x-ray
- A physical exam from a licensed healthcare provider
- Current American Heart Association CPR training
- Pass a Level II background check
- Pass a 10-panel drug screen
Tuition for the practical nursing program is $15,000. Other fees include testing fee and exit exam, lab fee, clinical fee, enrollment fee, and admission entrance exam fee. Practical nursing students must also budget for textbooks, background check, drug screen, CPR certification, physical exam and titers, and graduation ceremony.
- Website: http://www.medlifeinstitute.com/programs.php#2
- Address: 4000 North Street Road 7, Lauderdale Lakes, FL 33319
- Phone: (954) 943-8667
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 20%
Sheridan Technical College
The practical nursing program is a blended course comprising of 1350 hour of classroom theory, hands-on lab, and clinical rotation. The Florida State Board of Nursing approved program covers the State’s guidelines so graduates are eligible to sit for the licensure exam to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Course content includes medical surgical nursing, pediatric nursing obstetric nursing, geriatric nursing, the role and function of the practical nurse, human growth and development, and family and community health concepts. Other areas of study include body structure and function, Basic Life Support, pharmacology and administration of medications, mental health concepts, interpersonal relationships, and employability skills. The clinical experiences begin early in the program and involve patient care in acute and long-term care facilities. The duration of the program is 12 months. Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 7:15 am to 3:30 pm.
- Attend a program orientation and interview with a counselor
- Obtain a passing score on the TEAS-V test
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Obtain FDLE background screening clearance
- Complete a physical exam and immunization requirements
- Have current health and accident insurance
- Complete drug screening
The approximate cost of attendance is $5,865.
- Website: https://www.sheridantechnicalcollege.edu/practical-nursing/
- Address: 5400 Sheridan Street, Hollywood, Florida 33021
- Phone: 754-321-5400
- Fax: 754-321-5680
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 87.37%
McFatter Technical College
The practical nursing program at McFatter Technical College covers 1350 hours of theory and practical instruction. The hybrid program may be completed in 12 months. Course modules include Practical Nursing Foundation I and II, Medical Surgical Nursing I and II, and Comprehensive Nursing and Transitional Skills. Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. The program is open for admissions five times a year – August, November, February, April, and July. Admission is on a first come, first served basis.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Schedule and take the TABE or provide official documentation for exemption
- Schedule and take the ATI TEAS or provide documentation for exemption
- Attend a program orientation
- Submit a physical exam report
- Provide documentation of completing the required immunizations
- Complete drug screen and background check
Tuition for Florida residents costs $4,326. Other costs include registration, books, supplies, and industry certification.
- Website: https://www.mcfattertechnicalcollege.edu/practical-nursing/
- Address: 6500 Nova Drive, Davie, Florida 33317
- Phone: (754) 321-5700
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 96.97%
Ruby’s Academy for Health Occupations
Ruby’s Academy for Health Occupations prepares practical nursing students with the knowledge and skills to care for patients in a number of health care settings. The program covers 1350 hours of theory and hands-on instruction in 12 months. Students who successfully complete the program requirements will be eligible to sit for the licensure exam to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. Course topics include but are not limited to medical surgical nursing, pediatric nursing obstetric nursing, geriatric nursing, the role and function of the practical nurse, human growth and development, and family and community health concepts. Day and evening schedules are available. Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. The evening class meets Monday through Thursday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.
- Be at least 18 years
- Submit a completed application to the PN program
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Take and pass the TABE
- Official transcript of college courses if applicable
- Copies of post-secondary certificates
Use the contact information below to learn more about tuition and other expenses.
- Website: http://rubysacademyhealth.com/programs/
- Address: 4343 West Sunrise Blvd., Plantation, FL 33313
- Phone: (954) 584-1970
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A
Cambridge College of Healthcare Technology
Cambridge College provides students with the knowledge and skills to start a career as a Practical Nurse. Graduates of the state-approved will be eligible to apply to sit the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-PN) to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. The curriculum covers 1350 hours of theory and practical instruction. Experienced instructors prepare students with a broad knowledge base in the classroom followed by real-world, hands-on patient care in various medical environments. Course topics include health care core, medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, human growth and development, vocational role and function, nutrition, and legal aspects of practice. Other areas of study include pharmacology and administration of medications, mental health concepts, community health concepts, geriatric nursing, medical surgical nursing, obstetric nursing, and pediatric nursing. Throughout the program, students will receive the tools that will enable them to take the exam with confidence.
- Attend an admission interview
- Submit a personal statement
- Proof of high school graduation
- Official college transcript – where applicable
- Application fee of $50
- Interview with the Program Director
- Complete a drug screen and background check
- Parental consent if under 18
- Complete the entrance exam (WBST v) with a score of 180 or above
- Complete a background check and drug screen
Tuition for the program is $22,500. Books and supplies will cost an additional $841.
- Website: https://www.cambridgehealth.edu/program/practical-nursing/
- Address: 5150 Linton Blvd, Suite #340, Delray Beach, FL 33484
- Phone: (561) 381-4990
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 80.77%