As a Licensed Practical Nurse, you’ll have the opportunity to restore health and relieve suffering as you care for patients under the direction of a registered nurse, nurse practitioner or physician. Your job responsibilities will include taking vital signs, dispensing medications, administering medications, managing IVs, operating medical equipment, developing patient care plans, and much more. In more personal environments, such as home health and nursing homes, you might be responsible for personal care such as bathing and dressing patients, moving them safely from one place to another, and serving meals.
There is always a need for compassionate and dependable nurses to care for people in need. There is a great demand for Licensed Practical Nurses who have a genuine desire to help others. Success depends not only on your technical skills and knowledge but also compassion, commitment, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills. LPN programs will cover the essential skills you need to deliver competent care within the legal and ethical guidelines for practical nurses in Kentucky. Programs include theory in the classroom with mandatory clinical rotations at approved healthcare facilities. The Practical Nursing Certificate or Diploma will confirm your eligibility to take the National Council Licensure Exam for Practical Nurses. Some rewarding places to practice are residential care facilities, physician offices, rehabilitation centers, hospitals, home health care, and schools.
The pay rate and job opportunities for licensed practical nurses vary across the state. According to the U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics 2018 report, the median salary for an LPN in the US is $46,240.
Beckfield College, LLC
Beckfield College’s Practical Nursing curriculum prepares students for the NCLEX-PN exam to qualify for an entry-level position as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The school offers experienced instructors, easy enrollment, no waiting lists, and clinicals built into the program. Students must complete 64.5 quarter credits to graduate from the program. Course titles include Nutrition, Anatomy & Physiology I for Practical Nurses, Anatomy & Physiology II for Practical Nurses, Composition I, Medical Terminology for Practical Nurses I, Medical Terminology for Practical Nurses II, Mathematics for Health Care Professionals, and Nursing Assistant Skills I. Other courses include Practical Nurse Medical-Surgical I, Practical Nurse Maternal Child Nursing, Practical Nurse Pharmacology, Practical Nurse Medical Surgical Nursing II, Practical Nurse Medical Surgical Nursing Role Transition, and Principles of Psychology. The duration of the program 55 weeks and includes 1,100 contact hours. Graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma and will be eligible to take the NCLEX exam. The content is delivered in a blended format.
- Meet with an admissions representative
- Must have successfully completed high school or equivalent – provide proof of graduating
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree is not required but qualifies a candidate academically for the program
- Submit ACT (Composite score of 16), SAT (930), TEAS (56), or Wonderlic Basic Skills Test (Quantitative – 265, Verbal – 265) scores.
- Submit a criminal background check
- Submit evidence of CDC-compliant immunizations – Hepatitis B, Tdap, Varicella, TB screening, MMR, and flu shots
The practical nursing diploma will cost $19,537. Other costs include registration fee, student resource and technology fee, course challenge testing fee, graduate fee, liability insurance, ATI Assessment Gee, science lab fee, skills lab fee, and textbooks.
- Website: https://www.beckfield.edu/academics/nursing/diploma/practical-nursing-lpn-upon-license/
- Address: 16 Spiral Drive, Florence, KY 41042
- Phone: (859) 371-9393
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
ATA College’s Practical Nursing program is offered in hybrid online format. The format gives students some flexibility by completing the theory online and gaining hands-on practical skills in the simulation labs on campus. There is an accelerated track for students that can be completed in 15 months. Experienced nursing faculty will cover the fundamentals of care in the classroom, modern lab, and through offsite health care facilities. The training will also include extensive preparation for the NCLEX to develop critical thinking and knowledge of nursing that will help students succeed in the healthcare field. It is expected that students will complete 1,431 hours in the classroom and 330 hours out of class. General courses include Success Skills, Professional Development, Medical Math, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, and Nutrition. Program requirements include Medical Terminology, Medicaid Nurse Aide Training, Introduction to Practical Nursing, Pharmacology/Medical Math, Fundamentals of Practical Nursing/Role of the Practical Nurse, Medical Surgical Nursing I, Psychology/Growth & Development, Medical Surgical Nursing II, Pediatric Nursing, Pharmacology/Medication Math II, Medical Surgical Nursing III, Maternal/Newborn Nursing, Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing, Long-Term Care/Geriatric Nursing/Palliative Care/Leadership, and Integrated Practicum. Graduates will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX for licensure in Kentucky.
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED certificate
- Must communicate effectively in English
- Satisfactorily pass a criminal background check
- Pass a 10-panel drug screen administered by Baptist Worx
- Complete all the medical documentation to attend the clinical
- Submit a completed Nursing Application
Tuition and fees cost $28,960. Books and supplies will cost an additional $2,993.
- Website: https://www.ata.edu/programs/practical-nursing/
- Address: 10200 Linn Station Road, Suite 125, Louisville, KY 40223
- Phone: 502-371-8383
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 96%
Graduates of the Practical Nursing Diploma at Sullivan University will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN to practice as entry-level nurses in acute and long-term care settings. The program emphasizes the holistic care model supported by theory. Members of faculty and specialists in their field and emphasize current best practices in healthcare. The content will be delivered in the classroom followed by hands-on lab and supervised patient care experiences in various healthcare facilities. The program covers 1,435 clock hours include 764 hours for lab and clinical skills. Course modules include Anatomy and Physiology, Personal and Vocational Relationships, Math Concepts for Pharmacology, Introduction to Nursing & Healthcare, Development of the Caregiver Role, Introduction to Health Deviations, Pharmacology, Mental Health Concepts, Nursing & Childbearing Family, Health Deviations I, Nursing Trends and Issues, Management of the Geriatric Client, and Health Deviations II. A grade C or better must be earned in all courses to graduate from the program. Day and evening schedules are available. The duration of the program is 24 months or 15 months for the accelerated option.
- Must submit a completed application and non-refundable enrollment fee
- Request transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent directly to Sullivan
- Complete an entrance evaluation – ACT or SAT scores completed within 5 years of application may be accepted in lieu of the entrance assessment
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Attend an applicant interview
- Pass a criminal background check
- Submit to a 10-panel drug screen
- Provide documentation of immunization records – Hepatitis B, Varicella, Tdap, Influenza, and TB
Tuition for the practical nursing program is $175 per credit hour.
- Website: https://sullivan.edu/college-of-nursing/practical-nursing-diploma/
- Address: 3101 Bardstown Road, Louisville, KY 40205
- Phone: (502) 456-6505
- Toll Free: (800) 844-1354
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 92%
The practical nursing program at Galen College is targeted to new nurses. The curriculum includes theory and practical training that will enable students to take the NCLEX PN licensure exam. Galen offers small class sizes, personalized support, hands-on training, general education classes included in the curriculum, and experienced faculty. Graduates will be able to provide patient-centered care, advocate for patients and promote dignity, respect, and privacy, communicate and collaborate with patients and members fo the health care team, and coordinate care for diverse patients. The duration of the program is 12 months full-time or 21 months part-time.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English
- Have an ACT score of 18 or SAT score of 980
- Pass a criminal background check
- Submit to a 10-panel drug screen
- Submit a record of immunizations – Varicella, Hepatitis B, TDap, MMR, Influenza, and TB
- Submit a transcript of all post-secondary education completed
Tuition for the program is $21,803. It includes the required immunizations, books, clinical supplies, CPR certification, and uniforms. The registration fee is $100. Other costs include supplies, physical exam, and background fee.
- Website: https://galencollege.edu/campuses/louisville
- Address: 1031 Zorn Ave, Louisville, Kentucky 40207
- Phone: (502) 813-4747
- Alt: (502) 410-6200
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 97%
The Practical Nursing program at MedQuest College prepares students for a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The curriculum covers 1,212 contact hours – 588 hours in the classroom, 192 hours in the lab, and 432 hours at a clinical facility. Experienced faculty will cover essential areas of the health care field so students will be capable providers of care. Graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma to take the NCLEX-PN for licensure as a Practical Nurse. The duration of the program is 12 months.
- Attend an interview with an Admission Representative
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Complete an enrollment agreement and other required admission documentation
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable fee of $50
- Successfully complete a pre-entrance academic assessment – Wonderlic: Math Quantitative – 267, Verbal – 285
- Submit a completed Medical Emergency Release Form
- Complete a physical with required immunization – two-step Mantoux, Hepatitis B, Tdap, MMR, Varicella, Influenza
- Have current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider through the American Red Cross
- Have Hospitalization Insurance or signed Waiver
Tuition for the program is $17,316. Books and supplies will cost an additional $2,998.
- Website: https://medquestcollege.edu/practical-nursing.html
- Address: 10400 Linn Station Road, Suite 120, Louisville, Kentucky 40223
- Phone: 502-530-1604
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A