Nursing is an in-demand career. Practical nursing programs prepare students for entry into the healthcare industry to function as indispensable members of the patient care team. Licensed practical nurses work under the direction of a doctor, registered nurse, or nurse practitioner, performing duties such as dispensing medication, taking patients’ vital signs, starting IVs, operating medical equipment, providing direct care to patients, and supervising unlicensed medical staff. LPNs work primarily in home health care, long-term care, home health care, but they may also work in hospitals, physicians’ offices, schools, insurance companies, and correctional facilities. LPN-to-RN or LPN-to-BSN programs at Kentucky colleges facilitate the development of current LPNs who wish to advance their careers by becoming registered nurses. The foundational principles provided by the practical nursing program and the real-world experience gained on the job help LPNs succeed in registered nursing programs.
Galen College of Nursing – Louisville
The practical nursing program at Galen College of Nursing prepares students to enter the high-demand, rewarding healthcare industry. The curriculum comprises of 1,440 contact hours (600 hours of theory, 192 lab hours, and 648 hours at clinical sites). Course content includes integrated human services, nursing and healthcare, fundamentals of nursing, pharmacology, mental health concepts, geriatric nursing, and integrated human sciences. Graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN program for licensure in the state. The school offers full-time day and part-time evening schedules. Full-time students complete the course requirements in 12 months while evening students complete the program in 21 months.
- Must be a high school graduate or hold a GED diploma
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English
- Submit an application to the PN program
- Take and pass the entrance exam with satisfactory scores – ACT-18, SAT 980, Multilevel PAX-78, ATI TEAS – 52
- Pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- Submit negative TB test results
- Must have current CPR certification
- Provide proof of up-to-date immunizations
The cost of attendance in $21,803 – includes books, immunizations, uniforms, clinical supplies, and CPR. Other costs include registration fee, background fee, supplies, and physical exam.
- Website: https://galencollege.edu/nursing-programs/practical-vocational-nursing
- Address: 1031 Zorn Avenue, Suite 400, Louisville, KY 40207
- Phone: (502) 410-6200
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 97%
Jefferson Community & Technical College – Louisville
The Practical Nursing Program offered by Jefferson Community and Technical College is approved by the Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN). The program covers 40 credit hours in three semesters and includes practical nursing and general education courses. Course topics include Introduction to Nursing and the Health Care System, Development of the Care Giver Role, Pharmacology I, Mental Health, Child Bearing Family, Pharmacology, Introduction to Health Deviations, Medical Surgical Nursing, Clinical Practicum, and Nursing Trends and Issues. Upon completion of the program of study, the graduate is awarded a diploma of practical nursing and is eligible to write the National Licensure Examination to become a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Apply to the college. Applying to Jefferson is a separate process from the practical nursing application
- Submit an application for admission to the Practical Nursing program
- Submit official high school transcript or official GED scores
- Submit unofficial transcripts of any post-secondary work completed. Any request for transfer credits must be from courses completed at an accredited institution
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on all college work
- Provide documentation of Kentucky SRNA certification
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen
- Complete the immunization requirements and physical assessment – Influenza, MMR, TB. Varicella, Hepatitis B
- Must have Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR certification – American Heart Association or American Red Cross
- Attend an orientation and workshop before the start of classes
- View Medcom Trainex videos on HIPAA, OSHA/Infection Control, and Professionalism
Tuition for the 80-week program is $7,650 plus $2,500 for books and supplies. Students are responsible for transportation to the clinical site, liability insurance, and uniforms. The program is eligible for financial aid.
- Website: http://www.jefferson.kctcs.edu/Academics/Programs_of_Study/Nursing-Programs.aspx
- Address: 200 W Broadway, Louisville, KY 40202
- Phone: (502) 213-5333
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 76%
ATA College – Louisville
ATA College offers a fast-track practical nursing program. The 15-month program has the approval of the Kentucky Board of Nursing. Experienced and qualified nursing faculty guide students through the curriculum in the classroom as well as 687 hours of hands-on practice at approved clinical sites. The intensive curriculum is divided into six quarters of college coursework and includes numerous NCLEX preparation assessments to help students succeed on the state board exam. Courses such as introduction to practical nursing, maternal-newborn nursing, medical-surgical nursing, issues and trends in nursing, fundamentals of nursing, and mental health concepts help students develop critical thinking skills and confidence to function as effective members of a healthcare team. The content is delivered in a hybrid online format. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN to become licensed practical nurses.
- Provide proof of high school graduation or GED diploma
- Must communicate effectively in English. Applicants whose first language is not English must submit TOEFL scores
- Pass a criminal background screening process
- Pass a nine-panel drug screen test administered by Baptist Worx
- Complete the Nursing Application
Tuition for the 60-week program is $28,960 plus $2,993 for books and supplies.
- Website: https://www.ata.edu/programs/practical-nursing/
- Address: 10200 Linn Station Rd, Louisville, KY 40223
- Phone: (502) 412-4028
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 83%
Sullivan University’s practical nursing program seeks to prepare students for real-life situations through hands-on learning using industry-standard equipment. The curriculum covers 1420 clock hours of instruction, including 782 skills and lab hours. Course topics include personal and vocational relationships, math concepts for pharmacology, introduction to nursing and healthcare, development of the caregiver role, introduction to health deviations, pharmacology, mental health concepts, nursing and childbearing family, health deviations, nursing trends and issues, and management of the geriatric client. Students who successfully complete the 86 quarter credit hours will be eligible to receive a Practical Nursing Diploma to take the NCLEX for Practical Nurses. Sullivan admits new students four times a year in January, March, June, and September.
- Submit an application for admission to the university with the non-refundable enrollment fee of $30
- Submit transcripts for all courses completed at post-secondary institutions
- Complete an entrance evaluation or submit satisfactory SAT or ACT scores
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Must submit to a criminal background check
- Attend an interview with an Admissions Representative
- Submit documentation of immunization
- Must have CPR for Health Care Providers card
Tuition costs $275 per credit hour. Other costs include uniforms, textbooks, background check, CPR certification, immunizations, physical, and state exam fee.
- Website: https://www.sullivan.edu/programs/practical-nursing-diploma
- Address: 3101 Bardstown Rd, Louisville, KY 40205
- Phone: 502-456-6505
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 90%
MedQuest College offers an accelerated Practical Nursing program that leads to a Diploma in Practical Nursing. Students must complete a total of 1,212 in-class clock hours of instruction to graduate from the program – 588 hours of lecture, 192 hours in the lab, and 432 hours at a clinical site. Course topics include Human Structure and Function, Introduction to Nursing and Healthcare, Foundations of Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing I, Pharmacology, Gerontology Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Maternal Child Nursing, and Transition to Professional Practice. Apart from classroom and clinical hours, students must complete 402 outside hours for each course. Graduates will have the confidence to take and pass the NCLEX-PN to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. The duration of the program is 52 weeks.
- Secure admission to MedQuest College as a regular student
- Complete a pre-entrance academic assessment or arrange for an official transcript of previous exam scores to be sent to an Administrator of the Nursing program. Wonderlic, ACT, TEAS or SAT scores are accepted
- Meet with the Nursing Administrator to review performance on the exam and plan for academic support
- Complete a criminal background check
- Obtain a clear drug screen
- Complete the Emergency Medical Release Form
- Complete a satisfactory physical
- Submit results of a 2-step TB test or chest x-ray
- Submit documentation of up-to-date immunization – hepatitis B, Tdap, MMR, varicella, influenza
- Submit current BLS for Healthcare Provider through the American Red Cross
- Provide proof of health insurance
Tuition for the program is $20,046. Books cost an additional $670 and supplies and fees cost $3,415. Fees cover immunizations, medical materials, safety equipment, three sets of uniforms, lab jackets, student liability insurance, NCLEX fee, and licensure fee.
- Website: https://medquestcollege.edu/practical-nursing.html
- Address: 10400 Linn Station Road, Suite 120, Louisville, Kentucky 40223
- Phone: 502-530-1604
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A