Licensed Practical Nurses provide direct nursing care to patients or residents in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and other health care facilities. Practical nursing programs deliver theory and practical instruction that will equip adults with a foundational knowledge of scientific principles and the competencies to administer medications, collect data on patients’ histories, monitor IVs, dress wounds, delegate tasks, and supervise the activities of Certified Nursing Assistants.
Licensed practical nurses are vital to the nursing team in their role as a liaison between registered nurses, physicians, and patients. As managers of care, they might plan, implement, and evaluate patient care plans in collaboration with a registered nurse. They counsel and demonstrate appropriate self-care techniques to patients, observe and monitor patients’ reactions to treatments and medications and report to supervising personnel, prep patients for surgery, and have an active role in post-surgical recovery. The increase in the need for health care professionals and rising standards for nursing education in hospitals have caused a major shift in the hiring trends for practical nurses. While there’s still a need for these capable professionals, the majority of the available employment can be found in long-term care facilities.
Graduates of licensed practical nursing programs must take and pass the NCLEX-PN exam to work as an LPN in the State of New Jersey.
Lincoln Tech provides Practical Nursing students with technical knowledge and skills to care for patients in acute and long-term care. The training includes theory and hands-on training with industry-specific equipment according to the State’s guidelines. Graduates will be prepared to sit for the NCLEX-PN for licensure as a practical nurse. The curriculum covers 1500 instructional hours, including 575 hours of clinical rotations in various health care facilities. Course topics include human anatomy and physiology, nursing fundamentals, professional awareness, nursing clinical, pharmacology, life span growth and development, mental health nursing, maternal pediatric nursing, medical-surgical nursing, and professional development. Day, afternoon, and evening shifts are available. The day program is designed to be completed in 52 weeks. The afternoon program is 68 weeks and the evening program is 104 weeks.
- Be 18 years or older
- Be a high school graduate or possess a state-approved high school equivalency
- Complete and sign the Enrollment Agreement
- Pay the registration fee
- Take and pass the entrance exam
- Take and pass a nursing entrance assessment exam
- Complete a criminal history background check
- Attend an interview
- Complete a candidate essay
- Provide two professional references
Tuition costs $28,291.
- Website: https://www.lincolntech.edu/campus/iselin-nj/programs/nursing-practical
- Address: 675 U.S. 1 South, 2nd Floor, Iselin, NJ 08830
- Phone: (732) 548-8798
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 92.11%
Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools
The Practical Nursing program at Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools prepares students for entry-level employment as a licensed practical nurse. The day-time program is designed to be completed in 15 months. Instruction covers nutrition, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, sociology, microbiology, contemporary health issues, fundamentals of nursing, medical-surgical nursing, mental health nursing, psychiatric nursing, pediatric nursing, and obstetrical nursing, and maternal nursing. Classes meet 5 days a week from 8:45 am to 3:30. The schedule for the clinical rotation is from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Applications must be submitted in December for entry in February and in April for entry in September. Graduates of the NJ Board of Nursing approved program will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN for licensure as a practical nurse.
- A high school diploma or GED
- Submit a completed application and fee of $50
- Provide a copy of a valid ID and social security card
- Complete the ATI TEAS test – a transcript of the TEAS test result may be submitted if the test was not taken more than 2 years prior to submission of the application to the program
- Attend an information session
- Complete a physical exam
- Submit the names and addresses of three character references
Tuition for the program is $5,940. The approximate cost of books and uniforms is $1,000.
- Website: https://www.mcvts.net/domain/116
- Address: 112 Rues Lane, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
- Phone: 732-257-3300
- Fax: 732-257-9388
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 83.33%
Universal Training Institute
The knowledge and skills taught in the practical nursing program at Universal Training Institute prepare students for entry-level employment as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Graduates will receive a Diploma as a Practical Nurse and will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX for Practical Nurse. The goal of the program is to prepare students to provide holistic care, implement caring behaviors, use critical thinking, communicate effectively with patients and team members, and encourage the pursuit of continuing education and professional development. The curriculum includes 1196 clock hours of theory and practical training. Course topics include medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, nutrition, ethics, communication, introduction to nursing, pharmacology, medication administration, medical surgical nursing, maternal child nursing, pediatric nursing, mental health nursing, community health nursing, and comprehensive review analysis. UTI offers both day and evening sessions. The completion time for the day session is 12 months and 18 months for the evening sessions. Enrollment is limited. The class size is limited to 30 students for the lectures and 10 students for the clinical rotation.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a current government-issued photo ID and social security card
- Provide official high school transcript or GED equivalent
- Provide proof of legal status in the United States
- Submit a written essay
- Obtain criminal background check
- Pass the entrance exam
The estimated cost of attendance is $20,130 and includes tuition, books and supplies, registration and background check fee.
- Website: http://universaluti.com/
- Address: 174 Jefferson Street, Perth Amboy, NJ 08861.
- Phone: (732) 826-0155
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 85.29%
Avtech Institute of Technology
The practical nursing program at Avtech Institute of Technology teaches adults the basic art and science of nursing, so they are prepared to work as practical nurses at acute and long-term care facilities. The training includes instruction in the parameters of practice, health assessment and physical exam, administration of medication, pharmacology, infection control, current trends and issues, client health care delivery, and trends and issues in nursing. Nursing courses include gerontology and mental health nursing, maternal and children health pediatrics, and acute care nursing. The training will also include supervised rotations in acute and long-term care facilities. At the conclusion of the program, students will participate in a comprehensive review that will include decision making, effective communication techniques, resume writing, and personal development. Full time and part-time schedules are available.
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Acceptable TEAS scores
- Complete the prerequisite courses at an accredited school – prerequisite courses include general mathematics and human anatomy and physiology
- Obtain criminal background clearance
Use the contact information below to get a current schedule and cost of attendance.
- Website: http://www.avtechusa.com/avsitev6/LPN.html
- Address: 50 Cragwood Rd Suite 350, South Plainfield NJ 07080
- Phone: 908-222-2833
- Fax: 908-222-7588
- Email: [email protected]
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 40.00%
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer