ealthDig into your extra reserves of compassion and train to become a Licensed Vocational Nurse. If you feel called to care for others, but don’t have a lot of time and money to spend on education, you might consider a vocational (practical) nursing program. The time it takes to complete the program will be based on your schedule, but most programs can be completed in just 12 months. Since the job outlook is positive, there’s a strong chance you’ll get a job soon after licensure. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, practical nursing jobs are projected to increase 12 percent through 2026.
One of the first steps to success as a vocational nurse is to enroll in a credible Licensed Vocational Nursing program. There are many schools to choose from in California, so it’s vital that you research and compare to ensure the one you choose not only meets your needs but also has the approval of the California State Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians. As you search, keep your end goal in mind. If there’s a chance that you’ll continue your education, choose a program that will permit seamless transition to a registered nursing program. Admission to nursing programs is competitive, so improve your chances of selection by preparing for success on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) and completing the prerequisite courses with the best grades possible. Program graduates will be qualified to sit the NCLEX for Practical Nurses – with the Board’s approval. LVNs work in hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, physicians’ offices, and other health care facilities.
Lynwood Community Adult School
Lynwood Community Adult School Licensed Vocational Nursing program includes theory and practical instruction to prepare adults for entry-level employment as in hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities. The program’s 1532-hour curriculum will span a period of 13 months. It will include an opportunity to care for patients under the supervision of a licensed instructor. The clinical practicum serves to emphasize vital principles including medication administration, patient care procedures, the nursing process, and infection control. In the classroom, students will study anatomy and physiology, growth and development, medical terminology, pharmacology, specialized nursing, and restorative care. Graduates of the Board-approved program will be eligible to sit the NCLEX for licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- A high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Attend an admissions interview
- Have current CPR certification
- Complete a physical exam with satisfactory results
- Take and pass a placement exam
Contact the Nursing Office for information on the program’s cost and schedule.
- Website: https://lcas.lynwood.k12.ca.us/apps/pages/LVN
- Address: 11277 Atlantic Avenue, Lynwood, CA 90262
- Phone: (310) 603-1485
- Fax: (310) 637-6894
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 86%
American Career College
The Vocational Nursing Program at American Career College trains students to provide nursing care within the scope of the Vocational Nurse Practice Act. The courses progress from the simple to complex theory and hands-on skills. They cover a total of 1570 clock hours: 615 hours of classroom theory, 152 hours of skills lab, and 803 hours in a clinical setting. Course titles include Strategies for Success, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Fundamentals of Skills lab, Fundamentals of Nursing, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Nutrition for Nurses, Life Span Psychology, and Pharmacology. Specialized nursing courses include Medical Surgical Nursing, Gerontology, Mental Health Nursing, Obstetrical Nursing, and Pediatric Nursing. Students must earn at least 78% in the theory and a “Pass” in the clinical externship to graduate from the program. Graduates will be capable of applying basic critical thinking in the nursing process, providing basic patient care and comfort, administering safe and effective pharmacological therapies, recognizing the disease process, demonstrating leadership and supervision in the provision of nursing care, and collaborating with the healthcare team for the best interest of the patient. The program is designed to be completed in 4 terms – each 13 weeks in length. Day, evening, and weekend schedules are available. The day class will be completed in 54 weeks. The evening class will be completed in 84 weeks.
- Meet with a college advisor
- Submit a completed application and submit the non-refundable application fee
- Complete an enrollment agreement
- Take and pass a standard entrance exam for admission to the college
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Obtain background clearance at the time of enrollment
- Complete health screening examinations, pathology tests, and immunizations
- Complete drug testing – if applicable
- Take and pass the HESI entrance exam with a minimum score of 70%
The cost of the program including tuition, books, supplies, and fees is $37,525.
- Website: http://americancareercollege.smartcatalogiq.com/en/2018-2019/Catalog/Diploma-Programs-of-Study/Vocational-Nursing
- Address: 3680 E. Imperial Highway, 5th Floor, Lynwood, CA 90262
- Phone: (310) 900-8050
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 91%
Angeles Institute, LLC
The Licensed Vocational Nursing Program at Angeles Institute helps students gather the skills, knowledge, and competencies related to the practice of nursing to improve the health of individuals and families. Students learn how to provide basic hygiene and nursing care, measure vital signs, assess clients, perform prescribed medical treatments, administer medications, and perform non-medicated IV with the state’s scope of practice for vocational nurses. The program covers 44 weeks of classroom instruction and supervised clinical experiences for students to function as an entry-level practitioner. Over the 44 weeks, instructors will cover 1610 hours: 576 theory hours, 314 hours, and 720 clinical hours. Course topics include introduction to vocational nursing, client-centered care, gerontology nursing, medical surgical nursing, anatomy and physiology, patient assessment, the nursing process, role transition, and preparation for the NCLEX. After successfully completing the program, graduates will be prepared for success on the NCLEX for licensure as a practical nurse.
- Attend an interview with a recruitment specialist
- Attend an interview with a representative from the Nursing Department
- Submit a completed application
- Be 17 years or older – proof of age required
- Have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Obtain a passing score on the Wonderlic exam
- Complete a background check
- Submit to drug testing
- Pass a general physical exam
- Provide titers or proof of immunization for MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella
Tuition for the program is $31,040. Books and supplies cost an additional $2,851.
- Website: https://www.angelesinstitute.edu/programs
- Address: 17100 Pioneer Blvd, Suite 170, Artesia, CA 90701
- Phone: (562) 531-4100
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 58%
Healthcare Career College
The Vocational Nursing Certificate Program at Healthcare Career College provides the hands-on training, knowledge, and practical patient care experiences to prepare students for success as a licensed practical nurse. The duration of the program is 14 month. Training covers anatomy and physiology, ethics, rehabilitation nursing, mental health, medical surgical nursing, pharmacology, ethics, pediatric nursing, leadership, and maternity nursing. The curriculum covers a total of 1840 contact hours including lectures, skills lab, and clinical experience. Students who successfully complete the program will be prepared to pass the NCLEX-RN to become a Licensed Vocational Nurse. HCC offers small and personalized classes, affordable tuition, tutoring and student support, experienced and committed instructors, and free certification prep and testing.
- Be 16 years or older – candidates below 18 must have a parent or guardian sign the enrollment agreement
- Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
- Take the Scholastic Level Exam (SLE) and obtain a passing score of 20
- Score a minimum 265 on each section of the Wonderlic Basic Skills Test
The cost of the program is $34,995 and includes tuition, fees, lab supplies, textbooks, uniforms, and other special supplies.
- Website: https://healthcarecareercollege.edu/programs/licensed-vocational-nurse/
- Address: 8527 Alondra Blvd, Suite #174, Paramount, CA 90723
- Phone: (562) 804-1239
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Annenberg School Of Nursing
The Vocational Nursing program at Annenberg School of Nursing provides students with the knowledge and skills to secure an entry-level vocational nurse position in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, or other healthcare settings. Students will have the confidence to provide direct care under the direction of a registered nurse or physician. The instruction includes academic and clinical instruction that will help students succeed on the NCLEX for licensure as a vocational nurse. It covers 1680 contact hours in 48 weeks – 12 months. Course titles include Fundamentals of Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Body Systems, Mental Health Nursing, Maternal Child Nursing, Leadership, and Professional Development.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Provide a valid CA driver’s license or ID
- Have a valid social security card
- Pass a physical exam
- Pass the TEAS exam
- Demonstrate capability of performing the physical duties of a nurse
- Pass a background check and drug screen
- Be able to speak, read, and write English
The cost of attendance is $25,100 and includes the application fee, books and supplies, background check and cards, and exams and licensing.
- Website: http://www.asn.edu/asn-vocational-nursing-program/
- Address: 19300 Sherman Way, Reseda, CA 91335
- Phone: 818-757-4431
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Long Beach City College – LAC Campus
The Vocational Nursing Program at Long Beach City College delivers academic and practical instruction to prepare adults for entry-level practice as a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Successful completion of the program’s requirements will qualify the graduate to sit the NCLEX for licensure as a Vocational Nurse. Course topics include but are not limited to fundamental nursing skills, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, maternal child nursing, pediatric nursing, gerontology, mental health, and nursing leadership. The full-time program is designed to be completed in one year.
- CNA certification – a current, valid CNA certificate in the State of California
- Meet the college reading proficiency requirements
- Demonstrate math proficiency – qualify for Math 110 through the LBCC assessment test
- Demonstrate writing proficiency
- Proof of high school graduation – provide official transcripts from a US high school or GED certificate
- Complete Biology 60, Pharmacology, and Transition to Nursing
- Attend an information meeting before submitting an application to the program
- Clear a background check before the first day of the clinical experience
The estimated expenses for the program is $5,000.
- Website: https://www.lbcc.edu/program-vocational-nursing
- Address: 4901 East Carson St., Long Beach, CA 90808
- Phone: (562) 938-4111
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 82%
The Vocational Nursing Certificate program at Advanced College familiarizes students with basic nursing principles that will enable them to assume entry-level positions in acute or long-term care. The curriculum overs 1536 contact hours (93 credit hours of theory and practical training. Students complete 580 hours of theory, 202 hours of skills lab, and 754 hours of supervised patient care in a health care facility. Course topics include nursing fundamentals, nursing process, anatomy and physiology, communication, growth and development, nutrition, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, communicable disease, psychiatric nursing, maternity nursing, rehab nursing, gerontology, patient education, and leadership/supervision.
- Be a high school graduate or its equivalent
- Pass an entrance exam and pay the non-refundable registration fee of $100
- Sign the Enrollment Agreement and other admissions documents
- Proof of completing an approved general education course of study through the 12th grade
- Completing of Math and Reading (Wonderlic with a score of 25 or better)
- Medical history and physical with immunization completed by a physician
- Pass the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) with a score of 55% or higher
- Mass a criminal background check and drug screen before admission
- Participate in a panel interview with the Director of Nursing
The cost of attendance is $33,000 and includes fees, uniform, CPR, books, and supplies.
- Website: http://www.advancedcollege.edu/vocational-nursing
- Address: 13180 Paramount Blvd, South Gate, CA 90280
- Phone: (562) 408-6969
- Email: Southgate@advancedcollege.edu
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 43%
Rio Hondo College
The Vocational Nursing Program at Rio Hondo College can be completed in two semesters after the prerequisite courses are completed. It combines academic and practical instruction to prepare students for employment as a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Graduates of the California State Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians approved program will be qualified to sit the NCLEX for licensure as an LVN. New students are admitted once a year.
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade C and an overall GPA of 2.5 or better
- Demonstrate reading, math, and English competency through placement or appropriate assessment
- Complete Health Science Core and Introduction to Psychology
- Provide proof of graduation from an accredited high school or passing score on the GED – high school transcript or diploma required
- Valid social security card
- Attend a Nursing Information Session
- Submit a completed application before the deadline
- Successfully pass a health examination conducted by a licensed physician
Tuition costs $2,613 for residents. Books and supplies cost an additional $3,000.
- Website: https://www.riohondo.edu/health-science-and-nursing/vocational-nursing-program/
- Address: 3600 Workman Mill Road, Whittier, CA 90601
- Phone: (562) 692-0921
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 96%
DAS Career and Education Center
The Vocational Nursing Program equips students with the competencies and qualifications to become a Licensed Vocational Nurse. The Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) approved program includes theory and practical hands-on training, so graduates are eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN. The duration of the program is 12 months and includes 1536 contact hours: 576 hours theory and 960 clinical hours. Classes include fundamentals of nursing, medical surgical nursing, pediatric nursing, gynecology, pharmacology, geriatric nursing, psychiatric nursing, rehabilitation nursing, and nursing leadership.
- Attend a mandatory orientation seminar
- A high school diploma or GED
- A valid state ID and social security card
- Pass a background check and drug screen
- A physical exam report
The cost of the program is $12,499. Additional costs for books, administration fees, and supplies will apply.
- Website: http://www.das.edu/vocational-nursing/
- Address: 12340 Woodruff Ave, Downey, CA 90241
- Phone: (562) 940-6200
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 56%
Community Enhancement Services
Community Enhancement Services’ program provides students with the theory, lab, and clinical experiences to prepare for their role as Licensed Vocational Nurses. The program’s four modules each cover 15 weeks. The clinical component of the program facilitates direct patient care experiences in various healthcare facilities. Graduates will qualify to sit the NCLEX-PN for state licensure. Day and evening schedules are available. The day classes meet Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:30 am to 2:00 pm and Thursday and Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. Evening classes meet two days a week from 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- A high school graduate or GED equivalent
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Pass the entrance exam with a minimum of 75%
- Submit a physical exam completed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. It must include immunizations/titers and PPD assessment.
- Provide proof of a negative chest x-ray
- Obtain criminal background clearance
- Attend a personal interview with the Program Director
Tuition for the program is $25,662. Books and supplies cost an additional $608.
- Website: http://cescollege.com/vocational-nurse/
- Address: 401 South Glenoaks Blvd Suite 211 Burbank, CA 91502
- Phone: 818-563-9822
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 75%