While the profession of nursing is inspiring and rewarding, it can also be challenging and disheartening. Nurses spend long hours on their feet, cope with stressful situations, and rarely receive thanks for the things they do to ensure patients’ safety and comfort. In spite of the challenges, nurses accept their calling and excel in the profession in the way they care and advocate for patients. Practical nursing programs prepare students with the knowledge and skills to succeed as capable providers of care. These clinical skills and the knowledge of the legal and ethical guidelines that govern practice are essential. But a good nurse cares deeply and completely for the patients he or she works with. The intuitiveness to speak the right words and offer comfort at the right time, attentiveness to detail, and the capacity to capacity to solve problems are some other traits of successful nurses.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, licensed practical nurses in North Carolina earned an average annual salary of $43,250.
The College of Davidson and Davie Counties
The Practical Nursing Diploma Program at the College of Davidson and Davie Counties equips students with the knowledge and skills to provide safe and quality nursing care to impact the health and quality of lives of individuals and families. The curriculum builds on the domains of healthcare, nursing practice, and the holistic individual and emphasizes personalized nurses care and collaboration with the interdisciplinary team. Students are introduced to evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and informatics. Students must complete a total of 44 credit hours to graduate with a Diploma in Practical Nursing. They will be eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Students will be able to provide competent, culturally sensitive care, work in interdisciplinary teams, demonstrate ethical and legal behavior, and make contributions to the improvement of health care.
Applicants to the program must have excellent communication and motor skill and sensory and cognitive ability to engage in the practice of nursing.
- Be a high school graduate or GED equivalency. The official high school transcript or a copy of the GED certificate must be submitted
- Complete the specifications for admissions outlined in the application packet
- Be listed as an NAI after completing a Nursing Assistant I training program comprising of at least 70 hours of training
- Have current certification in Healthcare Provider CPR at the time of entry
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen testing prior to the commencement of the clinical component of the course
Tuition costs $78 for residents of North Carolina.
- Website: https://www.davidsonccc.edu/academics/health-wellness-public-safety/health-programs/practical-nurse-education
- Address: 297 DCC Road, Thomasville, NC 27360
- Phone: 336-249-8186
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 93%
ECPI University’s Practical Nursing program is designed for adults who have a special calling to care for others. They are prepared to function as a vital part of the healthcare team to provide safe and quality care to individuals and families. Students will learn how to deliver care to clients and families, use critical thinking to perform cognitive, psychomotor and effective nursing skills, and communicate with patients and members of the healthcare team. The program may be completed in just 15 months. Graduates will be eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The curriculum delivers 1,658 hours. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, dosage calculations, foundations of nursing, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, acute care nursing, role transition, normal life span, and medical terminology.
- Submit a completed application for admission and enrollment agreement
- Attend a personal admissions interview
- Submit official high school transcript or GED test scores
- Complete an admissions assessment and obtain acceptable scores
- Pass a criminal background check
- Valid Healthcare Provider CPR
Tuition for the program is $37,910.
- Website: https://www.ecpi.edu/programs/practical-nursing-diploma
- Address: 7802 Airport Center Dr. Greensboro, NC 27409
- Phone: 336-792-7594
- Toll-Free: 844-611-0702
- Fax: 336-664-0801
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Forsyth Tech Community College
The Practical Nursing Program at Forsyth Tech Community College prepares students to meet the diverse healthcare needs of North Carolina residents. Graduates will be eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN to assume entry-level employment as a Licensed Practical Nurse. They will be able to promote health, practice professional nursing with the legal and ethical guidelines of the profession, participate in evidence-based nursing care, use the nursing process to provide individualized care, and collaborate with the interdisciplinary healthcare team. The curriculum employs classroom instruction, skills lab, and supervised patient care experiences during the clinical component of the course to prepare students for the role. The program has limited enrollment. Applicants will be scored based on the TEAS and the completion of prerequisites like biology, psychology, and English. Day, evening, and weekend schedules are available.
- A high school diploma or college credits in biology
- Current CPR certification at the healthcare provider level
- Complete the program orientation requirements
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade C or better
- Complete the Medical Form
- Have current certification as a certified nurse assistant I
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen to participate in the clinical practicum
Tuition for the program is $3,084 for residents. Additional costs for textbooks, supplies, uniforms, and fees apply.
- Website: https://www.forsythtech.edu/courses-programs/degrees/programs-a-z/practical-nursing/
- Address: 2100 Silas Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27103
- Phone: 336-723-0371
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Gaston College equips students with the knowledge and skills to provide safe and quality care to individuals and families. The program is accredited by the ACEN, so graduates are eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN to practice as Licensed Practical Nurses as part of the interdisciplinary team in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, and rehabilitation centers. Students must complete a total of 44 credit hours to graduate from the program with a Diploma in Practical Nursing. The curriculum includes theory and practical instruction in the areas of medical terminology, fundamentals of nursing, anatomy and physiology, medical surgical nursing, maternal child nursing, pediatric nursing, trends in nursing, and evidence-based practice. Students will learn how to analyze data to determine patients’ health status, function as an active participant in patient assessments, use basic communication techniques, record patient information, and demonstrate active learning.
- Complete the requirements for general admission to Gaston College
- Submit a completed application to the nursing department
- Attend a practical nursing information session
- Complete a TEAS V with a minimum score of 60
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade C
- Have current CPR certification
- Complete a criminal background check and urine drug screen
- Meet the health requirements including proof of immunizations
- The deadline for submission of application and requirements is March 1 each year
Tuition is $72 per credit for resident students.
- Website: http://www.gaston.edu/health-human-services/nursing-practical/
- Address: 7220 Wilkinson Blvd., Belmont, NC 28012
- Phone: 704-825-3737
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
South Piedmont Community College
The Practical Nursing Diploma program at South Piedmont Community College prepares adults to care for children and adults. The curriculum requires completion of 44 credit hours. The program content is delivered through lectures in the classroom, practical demonstrations in the skills lab, and supervised patient care experiences in a clinical setting. Graduates will be eligible to sit the NCLEX-PN for licensure as a practical nurse.
- Complete the admission requirements to SPCC
- Submit a completed application to the practical nursing program
- Submit official high school transcript or high school equivalent transcript
- Submit an official transcript from all colleges
- Submit valid College Placement Test (CPT) scores that meet or exceed the minimum requirements
- Have current certification as a Nursing Assistant I
- Submit ATI TEAS test scores that are not more than two years from the date of the application
- Complete all prerequisite coursework with a minimum grade C
- Attend two mandatory Practical Nursing Orientations
- Have current Healthcare Provider CPR
- Submit the Medical Form
- Complete a criminal background check and drug screen
The estimated total cost of attendance is $13,740.79 and includes graduation fees, textbooks, test fees, tuition, CPR certification, liability insurance, and uniform.
- Website: http://www.spcc.edu/practical-nursing-diploma/
- Address: 3509 Old Charlotte Highway, Monroe, NC 28110
- Phone: 704-290-5100
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 93%
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer