Nursing is one of three broad industries that is expected to experience massive growth in the next decade in Oklahoma. Along with trade, transportation, and utilities, the profession will account for two-thirds of the state’s job growth – requiring as much as 7,000 new jobs over a ten-year period. The projected increase is due to the aging population and aging workforce who are retiring in droves. Seniors in long-term care facilities and similar medical settings will need constant care from trained, professional nurses. Licensed practical nurses are more likely to find employment in long-term care where they develop, implement, and assess patient care plans and supervise unlicensed patient care staff. Oklahoma’s LPNs earn a median hourly wage of $17.73 or $36,870 annually.
Francis Tuttle Technology Center
The Practical Nursing Program at Francis Tuttle prepares students for practice in a variety of settings. The state-of-the-art facility and committed faculty provide students with an innovative and industry-driven learning experience. The interactive and collaborative approach to instruction helps students develop confidence and independence, which are essential in practice. Clinical sessions are usually 8 hours a day for two days a week. Students should expect to commit a minimum 25 hours per week for study and assignments. The required 147 prerequisite hours are included in the program’s 1,463-course hours. Prerequisite courses include technical human anatomy and physiology and medical terminology. Program courses include nursing fundamentals, pharmacology, mental health, medical surgical nursing, laboratory and workplace safety, and nursing clinical. Graduates will be eligible to take the licensure exam for practical nurses. There are two enrollment options for the 1463-hour practical nursing program: the Fall Cohort and Spring Cohort – both with one plus one partnership.
- Complete and submit a paper application for enrollment at Francis Tuttle Tech
- Complete and submit a paper application to the nursing program
- Provide proof of high school graduation or equivalent
- Meet the minimum assessment test requirements – Accuplacer (reading 250, Writing 250, Math 250) or ACT (reading – 19, English 19, Math 19)
- Must be able to lift or move weights of up to 35% of recommended body weight
- Must able to communicate effectively
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade C – medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology – must have been completed within 5 years of the application date
- Complete the Group One Background Check process
- Submit to a urine drug screen at a contracted facility
The total estimated cost of the program is $4,427.20. It includes tuition ($2,895), fees, textbooks, physical exam, immunizations, background check, drug screen, uniforms, and licensure fees.
- Website: https://www.francistuttle.edu/programs-courses/career-training-programs/practical-nursing/practical-nursing
- Address: 12777 N Rockwell Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73142
- Phone: (405) 717-7799
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate:63%
Moore Norman Technology Center
The practical nursing program at MNTC equips students with the skills to care for the ill, convalescent, injured, and disabled patients in clinics, hospitals, long-term care facilities, private homes, and doctors’ offices. The curriculum covers 1463 clock hours of theoretical instruction (799 hours) combined with practical nursing experiences (664) which take place under the supervision of a registered nurse instructor. Course topics include medical terminology, concepts of nursing, fundamentals of nursing, basic nursing, pharmacology and IV therapy skills, maternal newborn nursing, medical surgical nursing, pediatric nursing, mental health. And transition to practice. Graduates are eligible to apply for the NLCEX-PN to become a licensed practical nurse. They may also be eligible for direct articulation into an associate degree nursing program at many Oklahoma colleges. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:10 pm for 10.5 months.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Submit a completed application for admission online
- Submit documentation of immunization and health screen – 2 MMR, Varicella, Hepatitis B, Influenza
- Obtain a negative TB skin test
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade C – medical terminology
- Submit ACT or Compass scores
- Submit official high school transcripts or equivalency
- Must complete a violent offender/sex offender/criminal offender background check from the OSBI
- Must have CPR – American Heart Association Health Care Provider
The program cost of $7,851 for in-district students includes tuition, drug screening, Group One National Background Check, virtual simulation, books, ATI complete bundle, stethoscope, practical nursing pin, lab coat, nursing shoes, and five sets of scrubs.
- Website: https://www.mntc.edu/long-term-programs/health/practical-nursing
- Address: 13301 S. Pennsylvania, Oklahoma City, OK 73170
- Phone: (405) 364-5763 ext. 7260
- Fax: (405) 809-3548
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 92.50%
Gordon Cooper Technology Center
The Practical Nursing program at GCTC has the approval of the Oklahoma Board of Nursing. Students must complete 136 hours of prerequisite courses before commencing the practical nursing core curriculum, which comprises of 1343 hours of classroom and clinical instruction. The program is offered on a full-time basis only. Course topics include medical terminology, maternal child nursing, mental health nursing, medical surgical nursing, fundamentals of nursing, and transition to practice. The full-time program runs for 11 months. Classes meet from Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must demonstrate reading, math, and language skills at the 9th grade level or above
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade C or better
- Must have current Long Term Care certification
- Must have current American Heart Association – Healthcare Provider CPR card
Tuition for in-district students is $3070 inclusive of supplies, fees, and iPad.
- Website: https://www.gctech.edu/apps/pages/full-time-programs
- Address: One John C Bruton Boulevard, Shawnee, OK 74804
- Phone: (405) 273-7493
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 86.67%
Mid-Del Technology Center
Mid Del’s practical nursing program reflects current trends in health care and provides a foundation for a career in nursing. The curriculum comprises of 1,463 clock hours of didactic and clinical hours including the prerequisite course hours. The prerequisite courses, Medical Terminology and Anatomy and Physiology are offered as an online program at MDTC, but students have the option to complete the requirements at another college/university. Classes meet from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm from Monday through Friday. Clinical sessions are from 6:30 am to 3:00 pm and commence after students successfully demonstrate the essential skills in the school’s skills lab. The duration of the program is 11 months.
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a grade C or better – medical terminology and anatomy and physiology
- Complete CNA certification
- Complete the entrance exam with acceptable scores – TABE, Accuplacer, or ACT
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Complete an OSBI background check
- Submit reference letters – up to three
- Provide proof of immunizations – TB skin test, Hepatitis B, MMR, Varicella, Tdap
- Must have current CPR certification
Tuition for the program is $5,950.
- Website: https://www.middeltech.com/adults/full-time-programs/practical-nursing/
- Address: 7217 S. E. 15th Street, Midwest City, OK 73110
- Phone: 405-737-4461 ext 1225
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate:24%
Central Oklahoma College
The Practical Nursing program at Central Oklahoma College leads to an Associate Degree in Occupational Studies which will confirm graduates’ eligibility to sit for the NCLEX for Practical Nursing. Students will acquire the skills to assist in the provision of basic medical care under the supervision of a registered nurse, physician or dentist. They will learn how to communicate effectively, think critically, measure and record vital signs, administer medications, provide wound care, assist patients with personal hygiene, and supply nurses with status updates on all patients. The classroom theory will be delivered using lectures, videos, interactive discussions, and presentations. The simulation labs and clinical rotations provide opportunities to collect data, build communication skills, administer drugs, perform physical assessments, and apply the general principles learned in the classroom. The curriculum covers a total of 1524 clock hours and 92.5 quarter credit hours. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Clinical hours may vary.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have graduated from an approved high school or equivalent
- Attend a campus tour and interview with an admission representative
- Complete an application for admission
- Complete a practical nursing entrance interview
- Pass the designated admissions entrance exam
- Provide proof of immunization
- Pass a national criminal background check before the clinical rotation
- Pass a drug screen before the clinical rotation
- Obtain CPR certification
The program cost of $27,470 includes tuition, technology fee, books, supplies, and registration fee.
- Website: https://centraloc.edu/practical-nursing-2/
- Address: 14820 Serenita Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73134
- Phone: (405) 609-6622
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A
Meridian Technology Center
Meridian’s Practical Nursing program prepares students for state licensure. The curriculum covers a total of 1,463 clock hours with courses offered in sequence. Students must meet the objectives of each course before moving to the next. Course topics include Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, Long-Term Care Aide, Introduction to Nursing, Fundamentals of Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Pharmacology and IV Skills, Medical Surgical Nursing, Maternal Newborn Nursing, Transition to Practice, and Pediatric Nursing. Upon completion of the classroom theory, students will have opportunities to hone their skills through supervised patient care activities in a nursing facility. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion to be eligible to take the NCLEX for Practical Nurses.
- Complete an application orientation activity
- Submit an application for admission by the stipulated deadline
- Provide documentation of completing the prerequisite courses with a grade C or higher – must be completed within the past three years. Courses are Medical Math, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology, and Long Term Care Aide
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug screen
- Obtain TB clearance
- Provide documentation of immunization
- Must be able to meet the physical and mental requirements of nursing
- Must have a current CPR card from the American Heart Association Basic Life Support
Tuition costs $4,072 for in-district students. Additional costs include physical, CPR, vaccination, books, supplies, background check, drug screen, and state exam fee.
- Website: https://www.meridiantech.edu/major/practical-nursing/
- Address: 1312 South Sangre Road, Stillwater, OK 74074
- Phone: 405.377.3333
- Toll Free: 888.607.2509
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 88.89%