A yearly poll ranks nursing professionals the highest for their ethics, honesty, and commitment. According to a Gallup survey, Americans continue to hold them in the highest esteem. Nurses go beyond the call of duty to care for patients, and the public recognizes their commitment to patient-centered care, which extends to patients’ families and significant others. They listen to patients’ concerns and often serve as advocates for their needs. While the profession calls for a lot of compassion and advocacy skills, nurses also need to understand the nursing process, scientific principles, and ethics when dealing with patients with different needs, ages, and ethnic backgrounds. Practical nursing programs help persons interested in starting a career in nursing to develop the knowledge, skills, and critical thinking needed to execute their duties in a health care environment.
Marian College requires 100 percent attendance from students – they will not issue a diploma until students complete all the required clock hours. The vocational nursing training provides students with the knowledge, skills, and competence to qualify for employment in hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, physicians’ offices, and specialized clinics. Course instructors emphasize nursing theory and the application of nursing skills to care for patients through different stages of life. The curriculum covers 1,534 clock hours of theory and practical instruction. Courses include Anatomy and Physiology, Nursing Fundamentals, Nursing Fundamentals Skills Lab and Clinical Rotation, Pharmacology, Medical Surgical Nursing I-III classroom, skills lab, and clinical rotation, Maternity Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Leadership and Supervision, and Career Opportunities. The clinical experience at a local healthcare facility reinforces the basic principles covered in the classroom. Students must obtain a minimum grade C to graduate from the program. Graduates will be eligible to take the licensure exam to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. Day and weekend classes are available. The weekday program can be completed in 55 weeks. The duration of the weekend class is 70 weeks.
- Must be 17 years or older
- Be able to speak, read, and comprehend English
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Pass an entrance exam – Wonderlic Scholastic Level Exam with at least 18 points
- Attend a personal interview
- Have a state ID or driver’s license and social security card
- Have a CNA certificate
- Letter of recommendation from a physician or psychiatrist
- Complete a physical exam
- Pass a drug screen
- Undergo a background check
Tuition is $23,865.50 plus $3,148 for books and supplies. Financial aid is available through federal loans for qualifying students. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN to practice in the state of California.
- Website: http://www.mariancollege.edu/vocational-nursing.php
- Address: 3325 Wilshire Boulevard, 10th Floor, Los Angeles, California 90010
- Phone: (213) 388-3566
- Fax: (213) 388-9606
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 81%
Lynwood Community Adult School
The vocational nursing course at Lynwood Community Adult School prepares qualified applicants for employment in hospitals and long-term care facilities. The course combines classroom, hands-on lab, and mandatory clinical training to emphasize key principles, including the nursing process, patient care procedures, medication administration, and infection control. Other course topics include anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, growth and development, nursing in specialized settings (maternal/neonatal, geriatrics, and pediatrics), pharmacology, and restorative care. Students complete the mandatory clinical experience in a local health care facility. The 1532-hour, 13-month course meets all the accreditation requirements of the California Board of Vocational Nursing. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN. Classes meet Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- Attend an LVN Orientation
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Certificate
- Attend an interview with an Admission Counselor
- Provide a satisfactory physical examination report
- Maintain CPR Certification throughout the program
- Pass the TABE
- Be prepared to pay the tuition and other fees upon acceptance
Tuition for the program is $5,000.
- Website: https://lcas.lynwood.k12.ca.us/apps/pages/LVN
- Address: 4050 E. Imperial Highway, Lynwood, CA 90262
- Phone: (310) 604-3096
- Fax: (310) 635-9107
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 76%
California Career College
The Vocational Nursing Program at California Career College prepares adults for their role as vocational nurses, specifically to meet the health care needs of the community. Graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills to succeed on the state licensing exam. The dedicated faculty facilitates a curriculum that covers modern trends in nursing and a realistic, and application-oriented approach to nursing in a multicultural society. Course topics will cover, but not limited to, terminology, nursing skills and procedures, anatomy and physiology, the role of the vocational nurse, pharmacology, maternal-child care, nutrition, and communication techniques. The intensive, supervised clinical experience covers moving, lifting and transferring patients, oral hygiene, positioning and range of motion, hand washing techniques, measuring and recording vital signs, measuring intake and output, medication calculation and administration, and other essential skills. Full-time students complete the 1600-hour program in 18 months and earn 61.5 credit units. Classes meet three days a week.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have graduated high school or completed GED
- Must demonstrate English proficiency
- Submit a completed application to CCC
- Pass CCC’s Entrance Exam with a minimum grade of 75%
- Attend an interview with an admissions representative
- Provide a physical exam report and immunization record – MMR, Hepatitis B, Polio, TB skin test, Tdap, influenza
- Pass a criminal background check and urine drug screen
Tuition for the program is $25,000 plus expenses for a mandatory criminal background check, IV certification, professional liability insurance, uniform, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, and textbooks. Financial aid is available through the Cal Grant Program, Chafee Grant Program, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal Work-Study.
- Website: http://www.californiacareercollege.edu/
- Address: 7003 Owensmouth Ave Canoga Park, CA 91303
- Phone: 818-710-1310
- Fax: 818-710-1329
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 73%
Pasadena City College
The Vocational Nursing program at Pasadena City College is open for admissions once a year. The curriculum includes theory and practical instruction to prepare students for the licensure exam and entry-level employment in hospitals, clinics, skilled nursing facilities, and physicians’ offices. Areas of study are Nursing Skills Lab, Medication Administration for Vocational Nurses – Theory, Fundamentals of Vocational Nursing – Theory, Fundamentals of Vocational Nursing – Clinical, Mental Health Nursing for Vocational Nurses, Intermediate Vocational Nursing – Theory, Intermediate Vocational Nursing – Clinical, Advanced Vocational Nursing – Theory, and Advanced Vocational Nursing – Clinical. The 11-month (37 unit) program begins in the fall semester and continues in the spring and fall semesters. Graduates receive a certificate of completion and are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English
- Take the TEAS exam and obtain an adjusted score of 58 or higher
- Complete the prerequisite courses with a minimum grade C – nutrition, physiology, anatomy, and psychology, lifespan
- Submit a completed application to Pasadena College
- Submit a completed Vocational Nursing program application
- Submit official US high school transcript or GED certificate
- Submit official transcripts of all college courses completed
- Provide a copy of a valid California Nurse Assistant Certificate
- Complete the Health Clearance forms
- Complete a satisfactory criminal background check
The total estimated cost for the program is $4,463. It includes tuition, books, online resources, parking, and uniforms.
- Website: http://www.pasadena.edu/divisions/health-sciences/vn/
- Address: 1570 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91106
- Phone: 626-585-7123
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 85%
American Career College
Graduates of the Vocational Nursing program at ACC are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN for state licensure and a career as entry-level vocational nurses in medical offices, hospitals, acute care facilities, HMO, clinics, long-term care facilities and other health care settings. Instructors commit to students’ acquisition of key skills, such as recording vital signs, administering medications, providing bedside care, collecting samples for lab tests, and serving as a patient advocate when needed. Leadership, communication skills, and supervision are also key areas in the program. A mandatory clinical program gives students the opportunity to use their knowledge and skills obtained in the classroom in a real-world setting. Course modules are Introduction to Client-Center Care Module, Care of the Client with Health Care Deviations I, Care of the Client with Health Care Deviations II, Advanced Client Centered Care, and Nursing License Preparation. Evening and weekend classes are available.
- Visit the college campus before enrollment
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor
- Take and pass a standardized entrance exam
- Complete the enrollment agreement
- Pay the non-refundable application fee
- Must obtain a background clearance at the time of enrollment
- Complete health screening examination, pathology tests, and immunizations
- Be able to communicate effectively in English
- Complete drug testing
- Must take and pass the HESI entrance exam with a minimum score of 70%
Tuition for the program $37,975 and includes the application fee, course fees, books and supplies, and STRF fee.
- Website: http://americancareercollege.edu/programs/vocational-nursing.html
- Address: 4021 Rosewood Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Phone: (323) 668-7555
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 91%
Career Development Institute, Inc. School of Nursing
Students enrolled in the Career Development Institute’s vocational nursing program develop a solid foundation in nursing concepts through the blended classroom, simulated lab, and supervised clinical experience. Instructors teach and review critical material that will help students succeed on the NCLEX-PN. Course topics include CPR for the Professional Rescuer, medical terminology, nutrition, pharmacology, psychology, anatomy and physiology, growth and development, nursing process, nursing fundamentals, gerontology nursing, medical surgical nursing, medical surgical nursing, maternity nursing, pediatric nursing, leadership and supervision, and NCLEX review. The faculty’s dedication to continuous assessment throughout the program contributes to the school’s consistent 100 percent pass rate for the NCLEX-PN. CDI also offers small class sizes, free tutoring services, job placement assistance, and financial aid to all students. Full-time students complete the training in 13 months.
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Have a valid high school diploma or GED
- Pass the entrance exam (CPAt) with a score of 160 or above
- Attend an interview with a School Director and meet the Financial Aid Officer
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Submit a completed application and registration fee
- Obtain criminal background clearance
- Complete health screening examinations and immunization for the VN program
- Complete drug testing required by the clinical agency
- Must purchase liability insurance
- Maintain CPR certification throughout the program
The cost of the program is $29,785 and includes the registration fee, books, and supplies.
- Website: https://cdi.edu/
- Address: 1830 South Robertson Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90035
- Phone: 310 – 559 – 0225
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
The Vocational Nursing program at Angeles College prepares students for licensure in the state. The curriculum covers 1800 hours of instruction – 706 hours of lecture, 176 hours of lab, and 918 hours of clinical. Courses include Fundamentals of Nursing, Leadership and Supervision, Maternity Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing I-III, Pediatric Nursing, Pharmacology I-IV, Psychology, Rehabilitation Nursing, and Term Review I-IV. Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be eligible to apply for and take the NCLEX-PN. Successfully passing the NCLEX-PN leads directly to licensure. Full-time students complete the program in 52 weeks. The duration of the part-time program is 72 weeks. Classes meet Monday through Tuesday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm for theory and Wednesdays and Fridays from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm for clinical rotations. The part-time program meets Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm for theory and Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm for the clinical sessions.
- Must have a high school diploma, GED certificate or equivalent
- Pass the entrance exam
- Submit a Signed Health Report from a physician
- Must take the ATI TEAS-VI with an overall score of 41.3% or higher
- Submit a background check
- Pass a urine drug screening test
- Complete an interview with the Director or Assistant of the VN program
The cost of the program is $29,500 including tuition, registration fee, books, and equipment.
- Website: https://www.angelescollege.edu/programs/vocational-nursing/
- Address: 3440 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 310, Los Angeles, CA 90010
- Phone: (213) 487-2211
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 68%
California Career Institute
California Career Institute provides adults with high-quality instruction needed to take the national licensure exam for vocational nurses to become a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Graduates will receive a Vocational Nursing Diploma after completing the program’s 1574 contact hours. The curriculum requires 586 hours in the classroom and 988 hours in a clinical setting. Areas of study include Fundamentals of Nursing I and II, Medical Surgical Nursing I, Maternal-Neonatal Health, Pediatric Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing II, Mental Health Nursing, Leadership and Supervision, and Senior Practicum. Part-time students will complete the requirements in 83 weeks. The duration of the full-time program is 61 weeks.
- Must be at least 17 years
- Complete at least the 12th grade of schooling or its equivalent
- Submit DOJ and FBI fingerprints
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable fee
- Pass the entrance test at CCI with a cumulative score of 70% or above
- Pass the Wonderlic exam with a minimum SLE of 13
- Complete the enrollment agreement
Tuition for the program is $27,500. Books materials, supplies and uniforms will cost an additional $2,290.
- Website: http://www.calinstitute.edu/programs-at-cci/lvn-program-licensed-vocational-nursing/
- Address: 12141 Brookhurst St., Garden Grove, CA 92840
- Phone: 714-539-5959
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 57%
The Vocational Nursing program at Stanbridge University prepares students for an exciting journey in nursing. The program includes lectures in the classroom reinforced by real-world practice in advanced training facilities directed by expert and caring educators. The curriculum covers 1808 clock hours (105 quarter credit hours) of lectures and clinical activities. Graduates of the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) approved program will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN for become a Licensed Vocational Nurse. Full-time and part-time schedules are available. Full-time classes meet Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm for 14 months. Part-time classes meet two days a week from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm for 28 months. Clinical rotations may be scheduled on select Saturdays and Sundays. Stanbridge University follows an open enrollment policy – and admissions representative will provide guidance each step of the way.
- Submit a completed application online
- Meet with an Admissions Representative
- Take and pass the entrance exam
- Provide proof of completing high school or GED
- Meet with a Financial Aid Representative
- Meet for an interview with a representative from the VN program
- Complete a background check
- Attend a program orientation before the start date
The cost of the program is $36,995. It includes books, fees, tuition, and supplies.
- Website: https://www.stanbridge.edu/program/vn
- Address: 2215 West Mission Road., Alhambra, CA 91803
- Phone: 866-742-1130
- Fax: 626-283-5787
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 98%
The Vocational Nursing program at North-West College provides students with the health care knowledge and technical abilities needed to practice as a Vocational Nurse working in various healthcare facilities. The program covers class modules and clinical activities where students apply the knowledge learned in the classroom. The course covers 1701 hours of theory and hands-on activities. Courses include Seminar for Success, Nursing Fundamentals and Nursing Fundamentals Clinicals, Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Surgical Nursing I to IV, Medical Surgical Nursing Clinical, Pharmacology, Maternal Health and Maternal Health Clinical, Child Health and Child Health Clinical, Mental Health and Mental Health Clinical, and Student Orientation and CPR. Graduates of the state-approved program will be eligible to take the NCLEX for licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma, GED or HiSET, TASC or other approved high school equivalency certificate
- Complete the Wonderlic Scholastic Level Exam (SLE) assessment
- Complete an admission interview and tour the College
- Submit a completed application and the Enrollment Agreement
- Pay the registration fee of $100
- Pass a background check
- Complete a physical exam
- Pass a urine drug screen
The cost of the program is $34,578 and includes books, supplies, and registration.
- Website: https://www.nw.edu/programs/vocational-nurse/
- Address: 14540 Haynes Street, Van Nuys, CA 91411
- Phone: 818-975-4818
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 85%
Annenberg School Of Nursing
The Vocational Nursing program at Annenberg School of Nursing prepares students for a successful career in nursing. The curriculum requires completion of 1,680 hours of theory and hands-on coursework. Courses include Fundamentals of Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Body Systems, Maternal Child, Pediatrics, Leadership, Long Term Care, and Professional Development. Graduates will be eligible to apply for licensure as a vocational nurse in California, be prepared for entry-level employment in healthcare, assume accountability in practice, and function within the legal and ethical parameters of the profession. The duration of the program is 48 weeks – 13 months. Admission is limited to 24 students with each cycle.
- Provide an official transcript, high school diploma or GED
- Be at least 18 years old
- Take and pass the ATI TEAS at a proficient level – 58.7%
- Complete a written English assignment
- Pass a physical exam – report must be signed by a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant
- Pass a TB skin test or chest x-ray
- Obtain clearance on a Consumer Background Report
- Be able to speak, read and understand English
- Attend an interview with the Program Director
- Complete the student questionnaire
- Pass a drug screen
The total cost of the program is $25,100. It includes the application fee, books and supplies, tuition, background check, and exams and licensing.
- Website: http://www.asn.edu/vn-program/
- Address: 19300 Sherman Way, Reseda, CA 91335
- Phone: 818-757-4431
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%