Licensed practical nurses form an integral part of the health care team. They function in this role by executing the nursing process under the direction and with guidance from a registered nurse, physician, or dentist. LPNs work in a variety of health care settings, filling the needs of clients or patients experiencing common acute and long-term conditions that affect physical or mental wellness. They operate within a set scope of practice and participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of a patient care plan. Their duties may include taking vital signs, treating bedsores, preparing and administering injections and enemas, applying dressings, applying ice packs, monitoring catheters, collecting samples for testing, and assisting patients with bathing dressing, and personal hygiene. A licensed practical nurse has the training to observe patients and report adverse reactions to medications or treatment and perform additional tasks acquired through education, such as administering prescribed medications and starting intravenous fluids. In some settings, experienced LPNs may supervise nursing assistants.
Hondros College of Nursing
Hondros College provides the foundational knowledge and skills practical nursing students need to launch a career in nursing. The curriculum covers 670 clock hours or 48 quarter credits. The clinical experience will begin in the second quarter of studies. Also included in the training are nursing simulation and practice, NCLEX-PN prep and review, and training in IV therapy. Students acquire soft skills, such as effective communication, professionalism to garner trust, and critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Course topics include basic math and dosage calculations, medical terminology, nursing concepts, fundamentals of practical nursing, psychosocial nursing, lifespan development, medical surgical nursing, maternal child nursing, basics of pharmacology, and nutrition. Graduates will receive a diploma to apply to the Ohio Board of Nursing for approval to take the NCLEX-PN. Day, evening, and weekend schedules are available. The duration is 44 weeks. The program is open for enrollment in January, April, July, and October.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Submit official un-expired government-issued proof of citizenship
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older before the start of the program
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable application fee
- Take and pass the Student Online Readiness Survey
- Must be a high school graduate or have a recognized equivalent
- Complete and sign the Enrollment Agreement and pay any applicable fees
- Take the HESI Admission Assessment Exam and obtain a cumulative score of 70% or higher
- Attend an interview with an Admissions Representative
- Complete a satisfactory background check via electronic fingerprint check with NBC
Tuition for the program is $17,568 plus $3,169 for books and supplies. Financial aid is available for eligible students.
- Website: https://www.hondros.edu/
- Address: 4100 Rockside Road, Independence, Ohio 44131
- Phone: (800) 783-0095
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 93.49%
Auburn Career Center
The practical nursing program at Auburn Career Center prepares students to fill the role of the practical nurse as part of the collaborative healthcare team. The curriculum 1,200 clock hour curriculum include theory in the classroom plus clinical experiences at a local health care facility. Course topics include fundamentals of practical nursing, medical surgical nursing, pharmacology and dosage calculations, maternal child nursing, pediatric nursing, nursing leadership, lifespan development, and preparation for the NCLEX. A student that is absent for more than 60 hours will be dismissed from the program. Successful completion of the Practical Nursing Certificate program at Auburn Career Center gives graduates the authorization to take the NCLEX-PN. Through a partnership with Lakeland Community College, graduates may also continue their education through Lakeland’s Associate Degree program. Classes meet Monday through Friday; clinical hours may vary.
- Must take the ACT WorkKeys® pre-entrance exam and earn a minimum Level 5 in Applied Mathematics, Reading for Information, and Locating Information
- Must have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Complete a satisfactory background check and drug screen
- Submit a physical exam report indicating up-to-date immunizations and negative TB test or chest x-ray
- Must have current CPR for Healthcare Providers Certification
- Must attend an orientation before the start of classes
Tuition is $13,950 and includes the cost of books, uniform, supplies, and NCLEX-PN testing fees. Financial aid and monthly payment plans are available to qualifying students.
- Website: https://www.auburncc.org/Default.aspx
- Address: 8140 Auburn Road, Concord Twp., OH 44077
- Phone: (440) 357-7542
- Fax: 440-358-8012
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 45.08%
Cuyahoga Community College
The practical nursing program at Cuyahoga Community College leads to a Certificate of Proficiency. Interested persons must apply to the Associate of Applied Science Degree program and will receive a certificate after completing the first year. The curriculum is presented as a career ladder concept to support career mobility and provide seamless transition from a nurse aide to a registered nurse. Course topics include Human anatomy and physiology, contemporary mathematics, introduction o healthcare concepts, introduction to patient care concepts, fundamentals of nursing concepts, concepts of nursing care for patients in community settings, life span development, role transitions, and nursing care of childbearing families. The duration of the program is 12 months. Day and evening schedules are available. The day track is limited to 64 students and the evening track admits up to 48 students each year. New applicants are admitted in the fall semester.
- Must complete the prerequisite coursework with a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Must have a high school diploma or GED – submit transcript to the Registrar
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 from Tri-C with a minimum of 9 credit hours from any course used to meet the general education requirements
- Take and pass the HESI A2 with a minimum score of 75% on Math and English
- Complete and pass a background check that includes fingerprinting and BCI check
- Must have current CPR for Healthcare Providers Certification
Tuition costs $1,434.48 per semester for in-county students and $1,788.96 per semester for Ohio residents. Books and supplies cost an additional $2,000.
- Website: https://www.tri-c.edu/
- Address: 700 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115
- Phone: 216-987-4067
- Fax: 216-987-4287
- Email: email@example.com
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Central School of Practical Nursing
The practical nursing certificate program at CSPN prepares students for entry-level employment as a practical nurse. The curriculum covers 1,240 clock hours of theory and practical instruction delivered in four levels – 2 12-week levels and a 11-week levels. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, introduction to patient care, nursing care procedures, pharmacology, medical surgical nursing, psychological aspects of nursing, home care/ community nursing, NCLEX-PN review, pediatric nursing, and geriatric nursing. The duration of the program 46 weeks. Students meet two days in the classroom and two days at an offsite facility for clinical rotations. Class times are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Community clinical times may be scheduled in the evening from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm. CSPN grants advanced placement to students who have previously obtained college credit for required courses.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED – submit official transcript or official GED results
- Must be at least 18 years old at the time of application
- Must be a resident of Ohio
- Submit transcript of any college courses completed
- Complete the Student Nursing Perspective questionnaire
- Provide proof of medical insurance
- Submit a signed Statistical Data Form
- Complete a background check and drug screen through Integrity Verifications
- Pay the non-refundable $30 fee of applicant file review
- Complete a physical exam that includes immunization records or titers
- Provide proof of COVID vaccination or medical exemption only
- Must have a current CPR certificate
- Submit a signed Enrollment Agreement
- Submit TB blood work test or 2-step TB
- Submit a signed State of Ohio Student Disclosure Form
The total cost of the program is $17,500 and includes tuition and administration fee. Books, supplies and uniforms cost approximately $930. Other expenses include background check, drug testing, and FBI check.
- Website: http://cspnohio.org/
- Address: 4700 Rockside Road, Summit 1, Suite 250, Independence, Ohio 44131
- Phone: (216) 901-4400
- Fax: (216) 901-4020
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 87.93%
Cuyahoga Valley Community College
Cuyahoga Valley Community College is recognized as one of the top nursing schools in Cleveland, Ohio and the surrounding areas. The practical nursing program comprises of didactic instruction as well as laboratory ad clinical practice. The curriculum covers 1,200 hours of instruction. Course modules include anatomy and physiology, life science, nursing fundamentals, and care of the client throughout the lifespan part I and part II. Instructors will also integrate training in intravenous therapy and medication administration. Graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The duration of the program is 10 months. New students are admitted in the fall semester, beginning in August and ending in June the following year. Class times are Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Clinical times vary. There’s also a 21-month part-time program available which begins in September. Part-time students meet for a minimum of 15 to 22 hours each week. Clinical times are on the weekends (every other weekend) from 6:45 am to 3:00 pm.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Take and pass the pre-entrance WorkKeys test
- Submit a completed application for admission with supporting documentation
- Attend an enrollment meeting
- Submit a completed physical exam report including current immunization and negative TB test
- Complete criminal background clearance with fingerprinting – applicants who have been convicted of specific crimes will be denied admission to CVCC’s practical nursing program
- Submit to drug screen
- Must have current CPR card for Health Care Providers
Tuition for the program is $14,300 plus $2,315 for books, fees, pre-entrance testing, and supplies.
- Website: https://www.cvccworks.edu/Default.aspx
- Address: 8001 Brecksville Rd, Brecksville, OH 44141
- Phone: (440) 526-5200
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 74.19%
North Coast Medical Academy
The practical nursing program at North Coast provides intensive curriculum that includes teaching experiences in the classroom and practical learning experiences in a simulated lab and clinical site and emphasizes quality care and respect for the patient’s dignity. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, fundamental nursing, pharmacology and IV therapy, reproduction and mental health, medical surgical nursing, and professional transitions. The duration of the program is one year for full-time students. A two-year weekend schedule is also available. Day classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm. Up to 32 students are admitted for each cycle.
- Apply for general admission to the College
- Must have a high school diploma, accredited college degree, or GED
- Take and pass a pre-entrance exam with a score of 75% or higher – test fee of $50 must be paid by the applicant
- Sign a statement of awareness of Criminal Record Policy
- Submit a completed enrollment materials with the $50 application fee for the nursing program
- Submit the completed financial paperwork
- Make the non-refundable down payment of $200 to hold a seat in the class
- Demonstrate physical and emotional ability to perform the routine tasks – a physical exam with proof of required immunizations – 2 step PPD, MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, T-Dap
- Provide a copy of current CPR certification for Healthcare Providers from the American Heart Association
- Submit a negative drug screen within three months of enrollment
- Complete a criminal background check
- Must have professional liability insurance
- Attend the mandatory Practical Nursing Orientation
Tuition for the program is $20,329. Books, supplies, and uniforms cost an additional $1,160. Other costs include application fee, liability insurance, fingerprinting at orientation, drug screen, graduation costs, and licensure fees.
- Website: https://www.northcoastmedicalacademy.com/
- Address: 1832 State Route 59, Kent, OH 44240
- Phone: 330-678-6600
- Fax: 330-678-6601
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A
Lorain County Community College
Practical nursing faculty at Lorain Community College utilizes an interactive process to prepare students for success on the NCLEX-PN and on the job. The curriculum facilitates theory, technical, and clinical experiences to prepare students for their role as a practical nurse. In the classroom and lab environment, students practice therapeutic nursing interventions, self-awareness, critical thinking, decision making, and communication techniques in preparation for the clinical experiences which take place in a long-term care facility. Students learn how to care for infants, children, adults, and older adults. Course topics include body structure and function, introduction to medications, fundamentals of medical-surgical nursing, introduction to psychology, maternity nursing, pediatric nursing, management in geriatrics, and introduction to sociology for a total of 42 credits. At the conclusion of the program, students who meet the continuous assessment standards will graduate and be eligible to take the NCLEX for licensure in Ohio. Through articulation agreements, they will also be eligible for advanced placement in registered nursing programs in colleges and universities.
- Must have official high school or GED
- Submit official college transcripts
- Take and pass mathematics placement assessment
- Must hold active STNA status
- Must have a GPA of 2.0 for all college courses completed
- Complete all deficiencies shown in the placement testing
- Submit a completed application form
- Take and pass the TEAS exam
Tuition costs $4,970 plus $1,544 for books and supplies.
- Website: https://www.lorainccc.edu/
- Address: 1005 N Abbe Rd – Elyria, OH 44035
- Phone: 1-800-995-LCCC
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 89.29%
Committed nursing faculty at Ross Education prepare students to function in the role of a Licensed Practical Nurse. The program combines the science of nursing with behavioral sciences, enabling graduates to properly apply the nursing process in a health care environment. Training begins in the classroom where students gather the principles that they must apply in the simulated lab and a medical environment during the clinical experience. Topics covered include geriatrics, medical-surgical nursing, pediatrics, obstetrics, pharmacology, leadership and transition to nursing, and professional development. The clinical rotations cover 398 contact hours. Students must earn a total of 58 quarter credits to graduate from the program and become eligible to take the NCLEX-PN for state licensure.
- Must be at least 18 years of age at the start of the program
- Must have graduated from a valid high school or completed GED
- Take and pass the Wonderlic SLE with a score of 20
- Must obtain a clear criminal background check
- Obtain a clear drug screen
Tuition for the program is $24,488 and includes books, technology, lab fees, and supplies.
- Website: https://rosseducation.edu/
- Address: 4300 Munson St NW, Canton, OH 44718-3674
- Phone: 330.494.1214
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 60.00