As a licensed practical nurse, you will care for patients in need of general or specialized care. Your daily activities and approach to care will provide patients with physical as well as mental relief from the overwhelming symptoms of disease. A nurse’s mission must be to improve the quality of life for patients and their families. This mission is made possible when you combine compassion with the technical skills and knowledge acquired in nursing programs. Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) work with registered nurses and physicians to provide a layer of physical and emotional support for patients. They provide care in structured healthcare settings where procedures and policies determine their responsibilities. Apart from delivering basic bedside care and measuring and recording of vital signs, LPNs evaluate and monitor patients’ conditions, prepare and administer enemas, prepare patients for lab tests, perform simple lab tests, collect urine samples, monitor catheters, provide injections, and apply dressings. Practical nursing programs include academic and practical instruction that students need to provide medical and personal care in multiple medical and personal settings. As the role of nurses in hospitals expand, licensed practical nurses are moving more towards long-term and personal care in patients’ homes. In these settings, the emphasis is on personal care, and responsibilities include bathing and dressing patients, preparing and serving meals, personal hygiene, range of motion exercises, and bedside care.
Oakton Community College
Oakton Community College hosts a registered nursing program that lets students, who successfully complete the first year, enroll in NUR 151. Successful completion of NUR 151 will result in a Practical Nurse Certificate that will grant the eligibility to apply for the NCLEX for Practical Nurses. During the first year, the curriculum will follow a planned, sequential format of theory and practical coursework. Courses are progressive so students must stick to the sequence. Only those who completed the general education and science courses beforehand will be given an alternative sequence of courses. Practical nursing students will complete Introduction to Professional Nursing Practice, Nursing Care Concepts, Nursing Care Concepts in the Care of the Psycho-Socially Maladaptive Client, Nursing Concepts in the Care of the Expanding Family, Nursing Concepts in the Care of the Elderly, Introduction to Registered Nursing for the Licensed Practical Nurse, Nursing Informatics, and Pharmacotherapeutics. The LPN option (NUR151) will be offered in the summer semester. It is a 5-credit hour that prepares students for the LPN exam. Students must achieve a minimum grade of C in all courses.
- Official high school transcripts
- College transcripts of available
- Overall GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A cumulative score of 75 on the HESI exam – results should not be older than 2 years
- One year of high school chemistry
- English 1010 placement based on the college’s writing assessment
- A health assessment
- Immunization records
- Substance abuse screening
- CPR certification
- Proof of health insurance
- Completion of a CNA program and a passing score on the Illinois State Certification Exam
Tuition costs $136.25 per credit hour for Illinois residents.
- Website: https://www.oakton.edu/academics/academic_departments/nur/syllabi/nur151.php
- Address: 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines, IL 60016
- Phone: 847-635-1600
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
Americare Technical School
Americare Technical School’s Practical Nursing program balances classroom theory with practical training in a simulated lab in preparation for a real-world, supervised clinical experience. After learning the basics of nursing fundamentals, pharmacology, obstetrics, medical-surgical nursing, pediatrics, and geriatrics, students will be ready for success on the NCLEX State Board exam for Practical Nurses. Upon licensure from the Illinois Board of Nursing, graduates will be prepared to care for individuals, families, and communities in a safe and competent manner. Course topics include anatomy and physiology, introduction to health science, medical terminology, math for the healthcare professionals, and introduction to computers. Other topics include introduction to psychology, fundamentals of nursing, nutrition, pharmacology, maternal-child nursing, mental health nursing, child nursing, and transitions to nursing practice. Morning and evening classes are available. Morning classes meet Monday to Thursday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. Evening classes meet 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. A weekend schedule is also available.
- Submit a completed practical nursing application form
- Provide a copy of photo ID
- Submit a copy of high school diploma or GED certificate
- Pass the TEAS exam
- Complete CNA program and obtain state certification
- Have current CPR certification
- Complete Fingerprint-based Health Care Worker Criminal History Records Check
- Complete physical exam including immunizations and negative TB two-step test
- Have medical insurance and liability insurance
- Negative drug screen
Tuition for the program is $18,750. Books and supplies cost an additional $2,976.
- Website: http://www.americaretech.com/healthcare-training-practical-nursing-program
- Address: 05 Busse Highway, Park Ridge, IL 60068
- Phone: 847-825-8773
- Fax: 847-825-8774
- Email: [email protected]
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 94%
Aquarius Institute prepares practical nursing students for licensure in just one year. Students will acquire basic nursing skills to care for sick, disabled, injured and terminally ill patients under the direction of a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner. The training includes theory and clinical rotations based state established standards and the role of the LPN in the Nurse Practice Act. During the mandatory clinical, students will gain practical skills in medical surgical nursing, pediatrics, maternal child nursing, and mental health nursing. Graduates will be able to provide compassionate care, use critical thinking and problem-solving in the performance of nursing duties, use oral and written communication effectively, and pass the NCLEX-PN for state licensure. Classes meet 3 to 4 times a week from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. The program covers a total of 1008 clock hours: 488 hours theory, 16 hours for skills lab, and 504 clinical hours.
- Be 18 years or older
- Provide proof of graduating from high school or equivalent
- Submit official high school transcript indication a GPA of 2.5 or above
- Pass a pre-admission exam
- Attend a personal interview
- Provide immunization documents showing immunity to MMR and Varicella, proof of Hepatitis B vaccination, TB test or chest x-ray
- Possess liability insurance and health insurance
- Obtain current national and Illinois criminal background check reports
- Have valid AHA CPR/BLS Healthcare Provider Certification
Tuition and fees cost $19,700. Books and other supplies cost approximately $1,792.
- Website: http://www.aquariusinstitute.com/lp_nurse.php
- Address: 1011 East Touhy Avenue, Suite 335, Des Plaines, IL 60018
- Phone: (847) 296-8870
- Fax: (847) 296-8860
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: N/A
Ambria College of Nursing
Ambria College of Nursing prepares adults for a career in nursing in just 12 months. The program includes 929 hours of nursing and 192 hours of prerequisite training in anatomy and physiology. Course topics modules include fundamentals of nursing, nursing pharmacology, adult nursing maternal-child nursing, nursing of children, and practical nursing role transition. Ambria offers convenient day and evening schedules with part-time and full-time options.
- Submit a completed application and all the required documents
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalency
- Achieve a score of 50 percent or higher on the TEAS
- Achieve 70 percent or higher on Reading
- Achieve 75 percent or higher in Math
- Provide proof of active CNA license
- Submit to a background check or drug screen
- Sign the Enrollment Agreement
- Attend an information session
- Apply for Federal Financial Aid
- Meet with an admission advisor
Tuition costs $18,600 based on 929 clock hours. Fees cost an additional $1,165.
- Website: http://www.ambria.edu/Nursing_Programs/LPN_Program_Summary/tabid/995/Default.aspx
- Address: 5210 Trillium Blvd., Hoffman Estates, IL 60192
- Phone: 847-397-0300
- Email: [email protected]
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 98%
Northbrook College of Health Care
The practical nursing program at NCOHC is a comprehensive program that prepares students for a career in health. Course topics include human anatomy and physiology, nursing foundation, nursing care of the chronically ill, nursing care of the acutely ill, nursing care of the pediatric child, nursing care of the developing family, and nursing leadership and medication administration. The program covers a total of 1050 clock hours – both classroom and clinical rotations. Morning and evening sessions are available. Morning classes meet 9:00 am to 2:30 pm for 42 weeks. Evening classes meet from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm for 50 weeks. Graduates earn a Certificate of Practical Nursing, IV Administration, and Pharmacology and are eligible to apply for the NCLEX-PN to become a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Submit a completed admission application and non-refundable $25 fee
- Complete the pre=practical nursing program with a minimum of C
- Pass a practical nursing entrance exam ATI-TEAS or HESI A2
- Be at least 18 years old
- Provide proof of identity – valid photo ID
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Request an official transcript of prerequisite or transfer coursework to be sent directly to the college
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a biometrics screen
- Provide documentation of good physical health including PPD Skin TB Test
- Have up-to-date immunization record
- Pass an interview with the Director of Nursing
- Have incidental Insurance for the program’s duration
The approximate cost of tuition is $14,833. The cost does not include books, supplies, and graduation and other fees.
- Website: http://www.ncohc.org/practical-nursing.html
- Address: 1400 S. Wolf Road – Suite 104, Wheeling, IL 60090
- Phone: 855-850-5722
- Main: 847-850-5700
- Fax: 847-850-5400
- NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 95%
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer