Licensed Practical Nursing work with registered nurses, physicians and other healthcare professionals to care for patients. Their responsibilities include monitoring vital signs, administering medications, observing patients reactions to medications and report changes, inserting catheters and IVs, maintaining patients’ history, and assisting with the delivery of babies.
To succeed as an LPN, you must communicate well, be flexible and committed, work well under stress, be organized and dependable, and enjoy teamwork and collaboration. Good physical strength and stamina, compassion, and patience are some other characteristics that will guarantee success in the profession.
An approved licensed practical nursing program will prepare you to take this most important step. The program will require a minimum commitment of 12 months – full-time – and will lead to a Practical Nursing Diploma or Certificate. The program is widely available at vocational schools and community colleges in Florida. Supervised clinical rotations will provide exposure to the health care system, patient care, and collaborating with other health care professionals.
In addition to the curriculum, schedule, and cost, you should check the school’s pass rate to gauge your chances of success. Passing the National Council Licensure Exam for Practical Nurses is essential for receiving a license to practice from the Florida State Board of Nursing.
Training and experience as an LPN could pave the way for a career as a registered nurse. Through an LPN to RN bridge program, you can make the transition to become a registered nurse in 12 to 18 months.
Ruby’s Academy For Health Occupations
The Practical Nursing Program at Ruby’s Academy For Health Occupation seeks to prepare students for a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse. The curriculum will cover 1350 hours of theory and practical instruction including 442 hours in a clinical setting and 234 hours of practical experience in a simulation lab. The clinical rotations in acute care settings, skilled nursing facilities, hospitals, and outpatient centers will expand students’ understanding of the concepts learned in the classroom. Course topics include Fundamentals of Nursing, Anatomy and Physiology, Professional Adjust/Communication, Growth and Development, Nutrition, Pharmacology I, Medical Surgical Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Geriatric Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Maternal/Newborn Nursing, and Transition to Graduate. Students will develop a commitment to lifelong learning, have the ability to work in the complex health care environment, and have the knowledge and skills to succeed on the NCLEX-PN for licensure as an LPN. Graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma that will help them qualify for entry-level positions in clinics, home health care, hospitals, physicians’ offices, and long-term care facilities. They will provide general care under the direction of a registered nurse or physician. Classes meet Monday through Thursday from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm and one Saturday per month for 13 months.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Submit proof of completing high school or GED
- Submit copies of any post-secondary education certificates
- Submit official transcripts of all college courses
- Take and pass the TABE with the minimum scores – demonstrate a 12th grade level in Reading, Language and Math
- Submit a completed application and non-refundable application fee of $150
- Complete a Level II Criminal Background Check from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement – must include fingerprinting
Financial aid and a flexible payment plan are available for eligible students.
Address: 4343 West Sunrise Blvd. Plantation, FL 33313
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 100%
The Practical Nursing Program at Chancellor Institute is an online/blended program that prepares students for licensure as a Practical Nurse. The curriculum will include 1350 contact hours of classroom theory, hands-on lab, and clinical practice in an acute and long-term care facility. Course topics include Pharmacology for Nurses, Fundamentals of Nursing, Nutrition, Human Growth and Development, Anatomy and Physiology, Mental Health Nursing, Maternity and Newborn Nursing, Gerontological Nursing, Basic Nursing Skills, Medical Surgical Nursing I and II, Informatics, Leadership, Informatics, and Capstone. Instructors will emphasize the health care needs for adults, professionalism in practice, restoration of optimum health, and collaborating with the health care team to improve patient outcomes.
- Must be 17 years or older – applicants under 18 must be enrolled by a parent or guardian
- A high school diploma or GED or pass the Wonderlic or TABE tests
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement
- Obtain clearance on a Level I background check
- Provide evidence of completing a physical exam and examination
- Obtain a score of 75% or higher on the entrance exam
- Have valid CPR/BLS Certification Card issued by the American Heart Association or Red Cross
- Official transcript of all college level courses
Tuition costs $13,000. Books and supplies will cost an additional $550.
Address: 5648 W Atlantic Blvd, Margate, FL 33063
Phone: (954) 400-0620
Email: [email protected]
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 33.33%
North Broward Technical Center
There are no prerequisites for enrolling the Practical Nursing program at North Broward Technical Center. It covers 1350 hours of theory and clinical instruction in the classroom and approved health care facilities. Students will develop nursing skills in the using modern technology and human simulators in the school’s lab. Areas of study include medical terminology, pediatrics, medical surgical nursing, maternal child nursing, gerontological nursing, fundamentals of nursing, nursing trends, and transition to practice. Graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Diploma and will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensure exam to receive a license from the Florida State Board of Nursing. Day and evening classes are available. The duration of the day class is 52 weeks and the evening class is 70 weeks. Hours will depend on the availability of the clinical site.
- Attend an interview with an Admissions representative
- Submit a completed Application and Student Enrollment form with the non-refundable fee of $30
- Take and pass the admissions assessment with a score of 75% or more – the test costs $70 – applicants who have completed 15 or more college credits are exempt from the assessment
- Submit two letters of recommendation
- Submit fingerprint documentation for a Level I and Level II background check
- Complete a urine toxicology screen
- Submit a NBTC Health form completed by a Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner, Physician, or Physician Assistant – must include proof of vaccination or titer for MMR, varicella, hepatitis B, and TB test
- Provide certificate of high school graduation or GED
- Complete and sign the confidentiality Agreement form
- Provide a recent passport size photo – for the school ID
- Provide two forms of identification
- Outline in 300 words the reasons for choosing a career in nursing
Use the contact information below to find out more about the class schedule and cost.
Address: 1871 West Hillsboro Blvd, Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
Phone: (954) 427-8830
Fax: (954) 427-8836
Email: [email protected]
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 62.50%
Atlantic Technical College
Atlantic Technical College’s Practical Nursing program prepares adults for the delivery of nursing care in hospitals and long-term care facilities. The program includes theory and clinical experiences that commence early in the program. The curriculum will cover anatomy and physiology, administration of medication, infection control and aseptic techniques, computer literacy, communication and interpersonal skills, care of geriatric and medical surgical patients, blood borne diseases, human growth and development, personal patient care, nursing care in community, CPR, knowledge of the health care system, and organizational skills. Upon completion of the program, graduates will receive a Practical Nursing Certificate that will confirm their eligibility to take the NCLEX-PN licensure exam. They may be awarded credits toward an Associate Degree at Broward College or the Florida College System.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalency or a college degree from and accredited college
- Take and pass the TABE or meet the requirement for exemption
- Take and achieve acceptable scores on the TEAS/HESI
- Attend a practical nursing orientation to learn about the program’s requirements and expectations
- Obtain clearance on a Level I background check
- Complete a physical exam and immunizations
- Pass a drug screen
Tuition for the program is $4,243. Books and supplies cost $1,285.
Address: 4700 Coconut Creek Parkway, Coconut Creek, Florida 33063
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 89.66%
Sheridan Technical College
The Practical Nursing program at Sheridan Technical College is approved by the Florida State Board of Nursing, so graduates will be eligible to take the NCLEX for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Graduates may be employed in hospitals, clinics, physicians’ offices, hospice agencies, and extended care facilities. The content combines 1350 hours of theoretical instruction with clinical rotations to give students a well-round experience in the science of nursing. Course content includes human growth and development, mental health concepts, Basic Life Support, interpersonal relationships, body structure and function, legal aspects of practice, administration of medication, nutrition, community health concepts, and employability skills. The duration of the program is 12 months.
- Attend a program orientation
- Apply for financial assistance if eligible
- Take the TABE test and achieve acceptable scores
- Attend an interview with the program counselor
- Provide a valid picture ID, proof of FL residency, complete the FL Residency Declaration form, and proof of TABE exemption if applicable
- Submit a physical exam report
- Obtain TB clearance
- Complete a Level II background check
- Pass a drug test
- Take and pass the TEAS Test Fee
Tuition for the program is $4,243 plus $1,164 for books and supplies.
Address: 5400 Sheridan Street, Hollywood, Florida 33021
Email: [email protected]
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate: 80.95%
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer